Votes

Option to hide IoT Network

Votes

2023-03-08 14:46:01 - last edited 2023-03-10 19:42:33

Request to add the Hidden option to the new IoT network.

The latest firmware update provided the ability to add a specific IoT network. However, no option to hide this network. With IoT devices to be the most volunerable to hacking, I think this is an oversight.

Options
31 Reply
Re:Option to hide IoT Network
2023-03-08 18:33:38 - last edited 2023-03-10 19:42:24

@cableghost,

Great Idea, I will pass this onto the team for consideration. My one concern would be whether IoT devices are able to connect to or be set up using a hidden SSID. IoT devices seem to be so finicky with their network settings that it may cause problems for some devices. Either way, I am forwarding the request as it would be nice to have as an option for networks with devices that can support the hidden SSID,

Another thing to consider is that the Deco System uses HomeShield, which has protections for all your IoT devices, meaning that the Deco will automatically stop any traffic that it identifies as malicious or is attempting to intrude on other devices using your IoT devices. While it isn't a catch-all, the feature will help to protect your devices and network beyond what normal routers and firewalls provide.

Options
2023-03-08 20:15:16 - last edited 2023-03-10 19:42:24
With regards to the 'hidden network'... my devices appear to have zero issues connected to my existing hidden network, and I have over 20 IoT-related devices connected. HomeShield is a good recommendation. Having a network hidden simply reduces the low-hanging fruit scenario.
Options
2023-04-07 02:04:39
This is a good and necessary idea. I'm a new user of a deco device and I just noticed this IoT network option but I haven't activated the option yet because I'm not fun of having a SSID expose for the IoT devices, I would like the idea of having this separate network but hidden. Please try to include this new feature in a future firmware release
Options
2023-06-29 13:01:45

@cableghost following. Is there an update on this? 

Options
2023-07-11 15:35:23

@cableghost I am also interested in this. Any update would be appreciated!

Options
2023-07-11 16:45:00

@cableghost @JuanGaVS @lfnmh0 @cyberminister 

It has been brought to our teams as a recommendation for future updates, but I do have a few concerns that may prevent a feature like this from seeing the light of day. Firstly, I believe that a majority of IoT devices do not allow for connecting to a Hidden SSID, while it may be possible to hide it after a device is set up, hiding the SSID will prevent a device from being configured in the first place.

Have you used your IoT devices with a hidden network before? What was your experience?

Options
2023-07-11 17:14:15

@Riley_S 

I've been using Tapo devices recently and these give the option to enter a 'custom' SSID if the desired network cannot be found by browsing.

So these would be fine.

As a worst case you could unhide in order to add new devices, then hide again. I'm sure this would work fine for most vendors' kit.

I can only see advantages in adding the option - if it doesn't work for a specific scenario then you can go without hiding - nothing lost in this case compared with the current inability to hide.

Options
2023-07-11 17:21:04

@Riley_S  there have been times I've had to unhide the network as well as turn off fast roaming and beamforming. The most recent fun wash with dahua doorbell. 

Options
2023-07-11 17:40:44

@lfnmh0 @DavidA123 

Thanks for the additional information, any examples or use cases makes it far easier for our team and R&D team to flush out the full implications of adding a feature. I will make sure to continue adding to the request.

While the feature, as long as unhinding and hiding the SSID functions properly, will only add functionality and benefits, our teams do also need to consider the problems that a setting like this may cause for less tech-savvy users and how it could be best implemented to avoid confusion or problems.

Options
2023-07-11 17:46:23

@Riley_S 

Hello Riley, I see your point, and probably it should be a problem. I haven't tried to connect a IoT device to a hidden network so I can't confirm you, but reading some reddit posts, seems the support for this depends directly on the brand and sofware version of the devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 18

Views: 2758

Replies: 31

Voters 18

+ 14 Voters