TL-PA9020P V4 tested speed does not match speed shown in tpPLC app

2024-04-09 03:07:38 - last edited 2024-04-11 12:03:30
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: let me know if needed, hard to get

as title says, i have 2 setup, in the tpPLC app, it shows a connection speed of 1400mbps between the 2, although when i do a speed test max speed i get is 300/300mbps. Nothing else in my network is limiting the speed, ive tracked it to the powerline adapters.

my internet gets me 1gbe, and i get that speed if testing on the router side of the powerline adapter.

Does the tpPLC speed not expect real world interference from other electronic devices?

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:TL-PA9020P V4 tested speed does not match speed shown in tpPLC app
2024-04-10 07:07:50

@anamehere 

If you're experiencing low speed issues when connected to a TP-Link powerline device, there are several potential factors and troubleshooting steps you can take:

1. Check powerline adapters' placement: Ensure that the powerline adapters are plugged directly into a wall outlet and not into power strips, surge protectors, or extension cords.

2. Test different electrical outlets and move them into the same room for comparison.

3. Check powerline rates between the powerline devices via tpPLC utility/App, you could refer to this FAQ to understand the difference between powerline rate and actual internet speed: Explanation about the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters

If the powerline rate is too low, refer to this FAQ to see if it will be better: What can I do if my powerline rate is very low?

4. Check available firmware updates and ensure the powerline adapter and extender are both using the latest firmware.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-04-10 08:06:35

@Sunshine 

Yep so ive checked those links and tried my best to isolate it.

But the tpPLC app still says connection speed of 1400mbps between the 2 units. Is this the speed it has calculated for its conditions or will it be lower than that?

Options
2024-04-11 02:00:31 - last edited 2024-04-11 12:03:30

@anamehere 

Hello, the powerline rate displayed on the tpPLC App should not be confused with the internet speed. As explained in this guide on Powerline Rate and Actual Speed of Powerline Adapters, the actual internet speed is typically around 20% to 35% of the powerline rate, depending on the specific electric wiring system.

Therefore, having a powerline rate of 1400Mbps and achieving an internet speed of 300Mbps is considered acceptable.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-04-11 12:03:27

@Sunshine 

Hi, yes i understand the 30-35% for the actual speed compared to the "maximum speed" although 300mbps is incorrect then since these have a maximum of 2000mbps as advertised and the speed expected should then be 600mbps, not the 300mbps "actual speed". But thats not my issue or question.

My question is what the speed shown in tpPLC meant to show? Is it calculated speed its tried? Because 1400mbps does not match either the "actual speed" 300 as you said or the 600mbps i calculated from the 2000mbps "maximum speed" the product shows. its 1400mpbs, Where does it get that value from?

Options
2024-04-12 01:03:49

@anamehere 

The powerline rate displayed on the tpPLC App is the real transmission speed between the two powerline adapters, as you mentioned, the maximum powerline rate it supports is 2000Mbps, and the 1400Mbps in your case is the actual powerline rate which is only affected by the specification of the product and also the powerline environment, if you move the location, it might change as well.

Options
3 weeks ago

@anamehere 

Hi, yes as seen in the image below the tpPLC utility states a 1400mbps connection speed between the 2 adapters, what is limiting the speed between them to 350/350? ive checked all cables, everything is CAT6, and both device on each end are gigabit, yet it is still limited to 350mbps up and down?

tpPLC of 1400mbps link between 2 devices

Options
Monday

@anamehere 

Any update possible? or should i create a new post?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 285

Replies: 7

Related Articles