Tapo Care breaks RTSP stream

2024-04-01 17:44:04 - last edited 2024-04-02 09:37:44
Model: Tapo C520WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

I have several tapo cameras on my property and installed a C520WS yesterday.

I view the camera streams using rtsp and the VLC viewer which works great.

I was vieweing the C520WS stream with VLC and it was working great then I logged in to tapo care and moved the care 

from one of my other camera's to the new C520WS and immediatly VLC will not connect to the C520WS stream.

If I go back in to tapo care and move the care back to one of my other camera's VLC immediately streams the C520WS perfectly again.

I have done this several times to confirm tapo care is stopping the rtsp stream

I am using the same rtsp url for all tests, the only changes I am making in in tapo care.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo Care breaks RTSP stream
2024-04-02 09:49:48

@Fobco-Star 

Hi,
Is there an SD card inserted into your new Tapo C520WS?
Currently, Tapo Care, SD card, and RTSP/ONVIF software cannot be used simultaneously. You can only choose two of them to use at the same time.
For example, if you are using an SD card and Tapo Care for recording already, the RTSP/ONVIF software connection will be disabled automatically.
To restart the connection on the RTSP/ONVIF software, it's recommended to remove the SD card from the camera.
Best Regards

Options
2 weeks ago

@Solla-topee Thanks for this answer to this issue, but I would like to clarify since I'll be dumping a bunch of competing products to switch to the Tapo series.

If I wish to have rich notifications with preview snapshots on my Android device, I need to subscribe to Tapo Care, but then I have to chose between local storage on an SD card or live streaming previews via third-party app on my desktop.  At the moment, I am testing iSpyconnect's Agent DVR for live previews on a Windows 11 PC.  I don't really wish to record on the PC, just real-time monitoring about 4-5 streams.  I don't mind paying for the service, but I would hate to give up the flexibility of backup local storage and real-time streaming.

Perhaps there are other methods I can achieve what I'm looking for?

Options
a week ago

@D-Chuck 

Hi,
Currently, the Tapo cameras do not support the three features(Tapo Care, SD card recordings, RTSP/ONVIF) to work simultaneously, I'll log your feature request and forward it to the related team to evaluate and improve our product.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 213

Replies: 3

Related Articles