Kasa smart bulbs act very strangely when controlled in groups

2024-04-07 05:07:51
Model: KL125  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Hello all,

I am hoping the TP-Link community will be able to help me out because I've been struggling with my problem for weeks. I've even been considering throwing away all my kasa devices but thought I'd give it one last try.

The problem:
When I control multiple KL125 light bulbs there is almost always an issue.

• Changing the colors or the brightness of all the bulbs in a group at the same time will make all of them flash uncontrollably forever and they become unresponsive.
  • Turning off all of the bulbs in a group at the same time will result in a few of them turning back on within 1-5 seconds then immediately become unresponsive.
  • One specific bulb always turn on during the night. (Cannot confirm if it's at the same time because I am asleep but it is every day)

My setup:

• Very strong Ubiquiti Wifi, band steering off. (Rated for 350 devices, I have less than 25)
  • All bulbs are brand new KL125.
  • All bulbs signal strength between -36dBm and -45dBm
  • 16 bulbs in 2 groups
    • The Living room has 7 bulbs total. 2 in lamps, 1 on the wall, 4 on the ceiling on a rail.
    • The Kitchen has 9 bulbs total. All in a 9m² area in a grid pattern. (HAS the problems)
  • All bulbs are in a IoT network policy group. They do not have access to the internet. (Removing this policy did not make a difference)
  • I have the same issue with local control. (Through Home Assistant with the Official TP-Link Integration)

What I verified:

• Strong enough Wifi signal strength ✅
  • No Wifi interferance issues ✅
  • Firmware up- to date ✅
  • No power outage ✅
  • No routine setup ✅

I'm not sure what can be the cause of the issue. If anyone has any idea, please let me know.
If needed, I can provide a video of the issues I've been having.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Kasa smart bulbs act very strangely when controlled in groups
2024-04-08 07:34:13

@felixcs 

Are the problem smart bulbs powered by a switch? Is it a dumb switch or a smart switch?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-04-11 04:31:10

@Wayne-TP Hello sorry for the late response and thank you for trying to help!

All the lights are on regular, dumb switches!

Options
2024-04-12 11:47:31

@felixcs 

Just to clarify, this issue only occurs when controlling the group of bulbs in the kitchen, not the ones in the living room, correct?

Have you tried reducing the number of bulbs in the group for comparison testing?

BTW, The bulbs in the kitchen are not all installed on the same fixture, right?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-04-12 12:40:26

@Wayne-TP 

Yes, this only occurs with the lights in the kitchen.
I have tried removing a few lights, even grouping the kitchen lights in sets of 3 and turning on/off each group one at the time. The issue persists.
They are not on the same fixture but they are on the same circuit. The lights are roughly 80cm/31.5 inches apart.

Options
2024-04-15 08:36:47

@felixcs 

We have reported the issue to the support engineers, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue. Please check your email box later and confirm.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 203

Replies: 5

Related Articles