M5 conflicts with Gateway

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-03 17:54:49
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

So I had the M5 mesh working wonderfully.  Then my ISP sent me a new modem.

The new modem is a gateway so it has built in WiFi that cannot be disabled.  It is a UBC1326 with Optimum/Altice.

The built in WiFi isn't giving adequate coverage throughout the house.  So I plugged in the M5 and it worked great, but has frequent drop outs.  We lose internat access for a few minutes many times during the day.  My research shows that there is a conflict with the two WiFis?

I can't disable the UBC WiFi.  I did get an Optimum tech who claimed to have disabled it, but then another tech reset the modem and I guess it is back on.

I'd very much like to use the Deco mesh.  So, I could request a new modem that isn't a gateway, but the only other one they offer that fits my needs is the Arris 3402.  That allegedly has the Puma 6 chip defect and I have been warned away.

So finally, I think there is a way to set up the M5 as an access point?  How would that work and is it something I should try?

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:M5 conflicts with Gateway
2022-04-06 08:45:02

@HuwP 

Hi, you can refer to this link to set up Deco M5 into access point mode:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

It could help avoid the double-NAT issue but there would still be two Wi-Fi networks, one from UBC1326 and the other from Deco.

So it will be much better if you are able to turn off the Wi-Fi on UBC1326 again.

Options