Network expansion over 30m and through windows

2 weeks ago

Hi,

I am quite new to network design and totally new to extending reach of a router, which is the aim of my question.

We have 2x ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Routers. The "Router A" is on the ground level of a building (quite in the middle of it) and is connected directly with a LAN cable to a FritzBox Cable Modem. The other Asus router, the "Router B", is 30m away in a different building and on the first floor.

The aim is to connect the A and B router, so they both use the FritzBox internet. B router is supposed to also be a running under the A router. So A and B are not siblings, but B is a child of A. We are not allowed to mount anything on the outside of the buildings.

It seems like the "TP-Link Pharos Serie CPE210 Outdoor WLAN Access Point" would be a solution. Also given that is seems that I can use is without an additional PoE box till 60m.

1.) Do I understand it correctly, that I can plug in the CPE210 with a LAN cable directly into my router and still get 60m extension out of it? (we do have power in the rooms, so it would not be a problem, but if we can save a device and cost, it would be nice)

2.) Will it be sufficient / overkill to use the CPE210. They need to be behing windows that have direct line of sight (must be inside). The one on the first flow might potentiall be partially hidden behind the wall as well.

3.) Do I need a sending CPE210 and receiving one as well? I would think 2 make a cleaner network on the B-Router side, as I could go into the "internet  port" with a lan cable, rather than having the router being a receiver of the remote signal and routing within the building as well (actually not sure if that is even possible?)

So my idea is the following:

Internet ---cable--- Fritzbox ---cable--- Router A ---cable--- CPE210 ~~~air~~~ CPE210---cable--- Router B

Does it make sense like that?

Is there a better (and still cost effective) solution?

Thanks in advance!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Network expansion over 30m and through windows
2 weeks ago

@Pir81 

Hi, Welcome to the community.

Theoretically, A pair of CPE210 could work.

There are some more details.

CPE210 has a built-in 9dBi 2x2 Dual-polarized Directional Antenna
Beam Width: 65° (H-Plane) / 40° (E-Plane)

So you might need to make sure 2*CPE210s are face-to-face.

EAP215-Bridge KIT would also be a good choice. It supports dual-band and would provide a better speed.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-wifi-outdoor/eap215-bridge-kit/

Is there an open space between these two buildings?

30m is not a problem for the Bussiness Wireless Bridge but almost on the wireless coverage edge for home products.

If there isn't much wireless interference between the two buildings, based on the same wireless topology, you could also consider a pair of Deco X50-Outdoor:

Internet ---cable--- Fritzbox ---cable--- Router A ---cable---X50-outdoor ~~~air~~~ X50-outdoor---cable--- Router B

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/deco-x50-outdoor/

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Network expansion over 30m and through windows
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@David-TP thank you for the input.

Yes, there are at least 5 other 2.5GHz networks around our area, so interference is possible.

Do I understand it correctly, that you would recommend the EAP215-Bridge KIT for

• 30m
  • behind windows/wall
  • with other 2.5G networks in the area?

You also mentioned, that it is dual band. Can you please provide the link to this information. I see only 5GHz in the datasheet.

Or would you recommend the X50:

• What if the router is not Wifi6 compatible, would that matter?
  • Can I put the X50 or the EAP215 behind a double glassed window (on the receiver AND the sender site), without impacting the signal too much (still cover 30).

The windows have a direct view of each other, although the receiver could be partially covered by a wall, if placed just on a table - which would be our preferred option (but we could mount it on the inside of the window if necessary). Would a wall make a significant difference for the 30m?

Just to be sure: we do not want a mesh. the router on the receiving end is a different network.

Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 108

Replies: 2

Related Articles