AX1800 and compatibility with Eero Wi-Fi6+

2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago

Hi All,

And thank you for any help on offer.

I have just received a Fibrus service into my house, (my garage to be precise) as this was the only location open to me.

The fibre is terminated into an Eero WI-FI6+ box in the garage and i want to extend to the house, (approx 8 metres away).

I have been told that for the purposes of extension of the incoming service i would be far better using a product such as the AX1800 as opposed to simply another Eero6+?

The are also some wired ethernet services in the house which connect into a comms cabinet, switch, patch panel etc.

I was planning to use the AX1800 to extend the original fibre incoming to the garage. Then position the AX1800 approx 8 metres away beside the house comms, (use the 1GB port to plug into the switch to support hardwired services only). All good so far i think?

The question is that if i then want to expand the WI-FI further into the house, i have another 2 x Eero 6+ units that the supplier gave me. 

Firstly is the AX1800 the best product for extension from the fibre source in the garage to the house?

Secondly, are the Eero6+ units compatible with the AX1800?

And lastly, if i install the 2 x additional Eero units in the house, how do i ensure that they pull their signal from the AX1800 and do not try to connect to the host unit which is over in the garage? (Perhaps i am mis-understanding how a mesh works but i just want to ensure they pull their signal source from the strongest point, which should be the AX1800).

Appreciate any help/guidance on the attached prior to purchasing

Best

Simon.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX1800 and compatibility with Eero Wi-Fi6+-Solution

@SimonMurray 

Hi,

The following statement can be found in a FAQ on eero<dot>com.

"What mesh technology does eero use?
 eero uses our TrueMesh technology."

The TP-Link RE605X V3, if that's the one you are referring to, supports OneMesh and EasyMesh. 

Mesh technologies with different names are not compatible with each other.

While it will be possible to use the TP-Link AX1800 (RE605X V3) to extend your wireless network in one way or another, it cannot build a seamless Mesh network with the Eero in your garage.

If you have two more Eero 6+ units lying around, then I recommend you try with these first and if you are not satisfied look for something else.

Regarding you last question. 
The fact that many home wireless Mesh devices on the market do not allow the user to manually select how they should connect to each other is indeed a weak point.

But usually the problem only arises if someone does NOT want a certain Mesh node to connect to the Mesh node that provides the strongest signal.
Because connecting to the Mesh node with the strongest signal does not necessarily also provide the fastest connection.

I believe TP-Link has like two or three (maybe more by now?) devices that allow the user to choose manually how the Mesh nodes should connect.
But as I already said, the Mesh of TP-Link devices is not compatible with the Mesh used by Eero.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:AX1800 and compatibility with Eero Wi-Fi6+-Solution

@SimonMurray 

Hi,

The following statement can be found in a FAQ on eero<dot>com.

"What mesh technology does eero use?
 eero uses our TrueMesh technology."

The TP-Link RE605X V3, if that's the one you are referring to, supports OneMesh and EasyMesh. 

Mesh technologies with different names are not compatible with each other.

While it will be possible to use the TP-Link AX1800 (RE605X V3) to extend your wireless network in one way or another, it cannot build a seamless Mesh network with the Eero in your garage.

If you have two more Eero 6+ units lying around, then I recommend you try with these first and if you are not satisfied look for something else.

Regarding you last question. 
The fact that many home wireless Mesh devices on the market do not allow the user to manually select how they should connect to each other is indeed a weak point.

But usually the problem only arises if someone does NOT want a certain Mesh node to connect to the Mesh node that provides the strongest signal.
Because connecting to the Mesh node with the strongest signal does not necessarily also provide the fastest connection.

I believe TP-Link has like two or three (maybe more by now?) devices that allow the user to choose manually how the Mesh nodes should connect.
But as I already said, the Mesh of TP-Link devices is not compatible with the Mesh used by Eero.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:AX1800 and compatibility with Eero Wi-Fi6+
2 weeks ago

@woozle 

Thank you so much, this has been really useful and I appreciate the guidance.

I wonder is 'Truemesh' as they refer to it an Amazon proprietary protocol for their products only, ie Eero.

lets see how it works out but once again thank you for your help

simon

Options
Re:AX1800 and compatibility with Eero Wi-Fi6+
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@SimonMurray 

EasyMesh is the only non-proprietary Mesh protocol, all others are proprietary.

Even TP-Link alone offers three different proprietary Mesh technologies, beside EasyMesh.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/blog/1296/tp-link-deco-mesh-vs-easymesh-vs-onemesh-vs-omada-mesh-what-s-the-difference-/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 127

Replies: 3

Related Articles