Deco X5000 Mesh system. Desperately need a way to view data usage by device. How can I do this?

Deco X5000 Mesh system. Desperately need a way to view data usage by device. How can I do this?

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

I may have even posted this question before but do the Deco mesh systems really not have a way to see data usage per device?

When I go under Reports > Network all it shows is how many new devices joined the network.  No data usage stats either overall or by device.  There's an option to subscribe to Security+ which says it gives more detailed reports but I can't find anywhere that specifies what kind of reports it provides.  Does anyone know if this will provide per-device usage stats?

I also checked in Parental Controls but that only shows the top websites that were accessed the most.  Nothing about data usage.   And that's directly from the Parental Controls menu.  When I go to the Reports section and select Parental Controls it says I haven't created a profile yet even though I have created a profile under Parental Controls.  And when I try to create a profile under the Reports>Parental Controls, as soon as I close out of there and go back the profile is gone, although it does show up under the main Parental Controls menu.  So this is pretty much useless.  

I need this because over the last few months my average data usage was between 500GB and 800GB but I just got a report from my ISP showing that the last month my data usage spiked to 3TB (almost 4TB).  I have no idea what would have used 3+TB.  The only thing that has changed is I installed a bunch of Tapo cameras but I don't have their cloud plan so nothing should be uploading to or downloading from their cloud.  

I definitely need a way to see what's using so much data.  How can I do this with the Deco system?  Do I need to just scrap it and take it back to Costco and replace it with something else?  

TBH, if I had know it didn't have any way to track data usage I would have never bought it.  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X5000 Mesh system. Desperately need a way to view data usage by device. How can I do this?
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@SDGTR 

I have Tapo C225 camera without TP-Link cloud plan, it definitely transfers video to the Internet.

This is easy to test: turn off WiFi on smartphone, keeping just cellular data on. Open Tapo app and check cameras: you should see them streaming. Which means, video from camera must go to the Internet before it comes back to your smartphone on cellular network.

Depending how many cameras you have, at what quality do they stream and if it is 24/7, they might be taking a large chunk of your Internet data allotment. If you are checking their video stream while at your home network, it adds to both Internet upload and download data.

Ask your ISP to split data by upload and download, if they don't do that already. Your upload must have spiked after adding Tapo cameras, and if it did - that's your culprit.

Options
Re:Deco X5000 Mesh system. Desperately need a way to view data usage by device. How can I do this?
2 weeks ago

Alexandre. wrote

@SDGTR 

I have Tapo C225 camera without TP-Link cloud plan, it definitely transfers video to the Internet.

This is easy to test: turn off WiFi on smartphone, keeping just cellular data on. Open Tapo app and check cameras: you should see them streaming. Which means, video from camera must go to the Internet before it comes back to your smartphone on cellular network.

Depending how many cameras you have, at what quality do they stream and if it is 24/7, they might be taking a large chunk of your Internet data allotment. If you are checking their video stream while at your home network, it adds to both Internet upload and download data.

Ask your ISP to split data by upload and download, if they don't do that already. Your upload must have spiked after adding Tapo cameras, and if it did - that's your culprit.

@Alexandre. 

Thanks.  That's what I'm suspecting but the Tapo cameras, only 9 of them, replaced about 15 Wyze cams I previously had and those were with the full cloud plan.  I find it hard to believe that the 9 Tapos use almost 4TB of data when the 15 Wyze cams didn't even use 25% of that.    I suppose it could still be possible but I really need a way to view data usage by device on the Deco mesh system so I can either confirm this or see what else is causing the massive spike in data usage. 

Options
2 weeks ago

SDGTR wrote

I really need a way to view data usage by device on the Deco mesh system so I can either confirm this or see what else is causing the massive spike in data usage. 

@SDGTR 

Understood. Sorry, can't help you with that, just addressing the statement that Tapo cameras don't stream to Internet without TP-Link cloud plan.

Options
2 weeks ago

@SDGTR 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

So far, HomeShield reports don't support displaying the data usage by device.

If you subscribe to the "Advanced Parental control", you can see the data usage per parental control profile, for example:

It is planned to support viewing data usage by device under HomeShield reports in the future. So far, there hasn't been an ETA yet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 103

Replies: 4

Related Articles