Feedback for my planned network using TP Link products

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-03 11:30:49
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting in the community thread, so I hope you forgive me for any errors on my end.

I am no expert on setting up network but I am somehow familiar with some of its concepts.

Right now, my home (3 floors, 4 bed rooms, all concrete walls and bunch of clutters) is currently using a Mesh system (Deco M5 and M4). We've had this set up for years now, but as day goes by I start to notice a degradation in the network performance. Devices are having problems connecting, streaming sometimes becomes blurry/low resolution.

Now I am planning to build a whole new network with an Ethernet Back haul to make sure all decos are receiving stable connection rather than relying on wifi signals.

What I plan is

ISP Router > Archer X55 > TL-SG1008MP Switch > 2 Deco X50 (via POE connection)

> TL-SG1008MP Switch > 2 Deco X50 (via POE connection)

So basically, I would set up the x50 as access points.

However, I am not confident if these set up would be viable and that's what I would like to ask of your feedback.

My concerns would be

1. Given that X50 would be used as APs. Would they stil utilize Wifi 6?
2. Do i have to plug in power adapter of the 2nd Switch even if its connecting via the PoE Switch as well?

3. Would cascading switches affect the overall speed of the network and its APs?

Thank you all!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Feedback for my planned network using TP Link products
2023-07-04 07:27:01

@tonib000y 

Hi, welcome to the community.

There is some information for your reference:

Even in AP mode, Deco AX models would still utilize Wi-Fi 6. 

The first TL-SG1008MP could power on the second SG1008MP via POE, so no power adapter is required for the second 1008MP.

Cascading switches would not affect the overall speed of the network and its APs. By the way, why do you need two POE switches since it seems like the first SG1008MP already provides enough POE ports?

And Is there any reason that you wish to upgrade from Deco M5 to Deco X50-POE, like wall-mounting or POE supported? Since Deco M5 and M4 also support Ethernet Backhaul.

Deco M5/M4 also work in the same network topology:

ISP Router > Archer X55 > TL-SG1008MP Switch > 2 Deco X50 (via POE connection)

> TL-SG1008MP Switch > 2 Deco X50 (via POE connection)

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on Deco

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Feedback for my planned network using TP Link products
2023-07-04 08:13:13

@David-TP Hi David!

Thank you for the response.

For the first inquiry. the 2nd PoE Switch will be placed on our 1st floor. From there, our 3 Devices would utilize that switch (The 2 X50 Decos and 1 CCTV main switch) . The other 1 will be placed on our 2nd floor which will be used for the other 2 X50 Deco specifically placed to the 2 bedrooms apart. I also thought that 1 switch would be enough but I realize I would have to crimp multiple very long cables from the 2nd floor going down to 1st floor since we don't have any dedicated cable drops in our home. I just thought that it would be better if I just place a 2nd switch on the 1st floor and from there, crimp multiple short ones.

For the 2nd inquiry, yes, the main reason is the PoE Capabilities of the Decos. Currently, the M5 and M4 decos that I have were placed on spots that is near the wall sockets, and the placement are full of clutters and quite far from each of decos. My plan for the X50 is to place them on either Wall or Ceiling and with PoE Capabilities, I dont need to worry about plugging them on any available sockets. Also, there are a lot of multiple devices connecting to the network recently, and base on my research, wifi 6 handles multiple devices better than the Wifi 5 :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 389

Replies: 2

Related Articles