Unstable grid power supply

2023-08-17 07:58:06 - last edited 2023-08-17 08:04:59
Tags: #UPS
Model: TL-WA855RE  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: Not relevant

I'm living in an African country where power supply is not stable and there are frequent shutdowns. My home network is setup with one Archer Mr200 working onto the 4G network, with two range extenders to cover all points of my house. Fluctuations forced the installation of surge protectors (more times I found both extenders reset to factory status due to electricity instability) but I cannot find a good solution for the power shutdowns. The solution itself is very simple: UPS, that already is powering my router. 

The beauty of the range extenders is that you plug them into a wall socket and that's all! If I have to put a ups on the floor it is not nice to see and dangerous for your feet in the night. There are wall mounted solutions but if I have to spend 5-10 times the value of an extender it is better to find other solutions. 

What I would like to find is a very small UPS, to plug in a socket and plug the extender directly onto it; something like the powerline PG2400 Passthrough, if technically possible. It is required very limited backup capacity, 15 minutes maximum (for longer times other solution can be adopted), and it would be even very useful for protecting the devices in place of the surge protectors. Please consider that not all of your clients live in countries where power issues are not existing, I do believe that there would be a good market for something like this. If it already exist, I couldn't find it.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Unstable grid power supply
2023-08-18 01:42:02

@Marco64 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I do see there used to be several range extenders with passthrough sockets, like RE360 or RE365, but the passthrough socket could not be used to power the extender itself via UPS. It is mainly used to power other devices.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/range-extender/re360/

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/range-extender/re365/

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-25 20:39:08

@David-TP Dear David, thank you for your reply. It is not exctly what i meant; i was thinking to a small UPS to plug in the wall socket and this device should have female socket in which plug the extender.

Anyway, probably a better and easier solution could be an extender housing a rechargeable battery, to keep the network up when main power fails. Is it such a device available in TP-Link product list or is there any plan/possibiity to have it in the future?

Options
2023-12-08 17:55:47

Look for compact or mini-sized UPS units that are designed for smaller devices like routers and extenders. These are often more aesthetically pleasing and can be easily integrated into your setup without taking up much space. Explore online or local stores that specialize in networking equipment. Sometimes, these stores carry specialized power solutions designed for networking equipment. Reach out directly to manufacturers of networking equipment or power protection devices. They may have insights into specific products or recommendations for your setup. If you can't find a commercial product that fits your needs, you might consider a DIY solution. Some enthusiasts have created custom setups using smaller UPS units or even repurposed laptop batteries. However, this requires technical expertise and should be approached with caution.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 337

Replies: 3

Voters 1

Tags

UPS