backhaul not working for Deco X20 and switch SG116

2024-01-31 17:02:02 - last edited 2024-02-02 02:29:06
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20231026 Rel. 62511

Hi there,

I have a Deco X20 3pack and TP-link SG116 switch. I was expecting to connect additional Deco units via Ethernet to use backhaul feature.

I connected my Deco X20  port1 to my internet provided router and configured it as my main router, then connected port 2 to my TP-Link SG116 switch port1. All my house network cables are connected to this switch. So I was expecting that if I add another Deco unit, anywhere at home connected via ethernet will get connected through backhaul but it gets connected via WiFi. The only way I have been able to connect the additional Deco unit using backhaul is if I connect it directly to port 2 in my Deco main unit.
I was reading posts and seems like some switches don't support backhaul, I wonder if that's my case, but I didn't find any documentation that says TP-Link SG116 doesn't support backhaul.

any help is appreciated!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:backhaul not working for Deco X20 and switch SG116-Solution
2024-02-02 01:38:14 - last edited 2024-02-02 02:29:06

@David-TP 

Hi David-TP, 

thanks for the welcoming!!!

Yes, this is my topology

ISP router---main Deco X20---TL-SG116---Satellite Deco X20#2

\---Satellite Deco X20#3

\---TV and other wired clients

Your suggestion gave me an idea and I was able to fix it. I test if other devices were able to get connected through the switch and they couldn't. So that meant the Main Deco was not sharing connection via Ethernet. So the satellite units will never get connected neither. I switched the ports with no luck, so I thought maybe I should start all over again.

I removed all the Deco units and reset them. Created the network from scratch, but this time I assured the main Deco was sharing connectivity to the switch. Then I added the satellite Deco units wired connected to the switch and that worked :D

Thanks!!

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:backhaul not working for Deco X20 and switch SG116
2024-01-31 21:40:22

@Rafael_Lopez_Al 

For backhoul to work, you must connect an X20 deco to the internet provider's equipment, then connect the sg116 switch to the X20 deco and you can now connect the other x20 deco to the switch.
I found an image on the forum that can help you understand.

Excuse my English. I put the answer in Spanish and you translate it.

Greetings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Para que pueda funcionar el backhoul, debes conectar un deco X20 al equipo del proveedor de internet, luego el switch sg116 lo conectas al deco X20 y ya puedes conectar los demas deco x20 al switch.
He encontrado una imagen en el foro que te puede ayudar a entender.

Disculpa mi Ingles. Coloco la respuesta en español y lo traduces.

Saludos.

Options
2024-02-01 06:23:46

@Rafael_Lopez_Al 

Hi, welcome to the community.

TL-SG116 does support Ethernet Backhaul of Deco.

Is your current network topology like:

\---Satellite Deco X20#3

Did it help if we connected the main Deco X20 to another Ethernet port on the SG116?

Please also replace a new Ethernet cable.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:backhaul not working for Deco X20 and switch SG116-Solution
2024-02-02 01:38:14 - last edited 2024-02-02 02:29:06

@David-TP 

Hi David-TP, 

thanks for the welcoming!!!

Yes, this is my topology

\---Satellite Deco X20#3

Your suggestion gave me an idea and I was able to fix it. I test if other devices were able to get connected through the switch and they couldn't. So that meant the Main Deco was not sharing connection via Ethernet. So the satellite units will never get connected neither. I switched the ports with no luck, so I thought maybe I should start all over again.

I removed all the Deco units and reset them. Created the network from scratch, but this time I assured the main Deco was sharing connectivity to the switch. Then I added the satellite Deco units wired connected to the switch and that worked :D

Thanks!!

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-02 01:40:09

Gracias  @Onam, la topología que utilicé es la misma que usted describe y utilicé la misma referencia que usted proporciona, pero ese no era el problema.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 281

Replies: 4

Related Articles