Extender won't connect to WiFi, error message "Saved / Check password and try again"

Extender won't connect to WiFi, error message "Saved / Check password and try again"

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently switched internet providers. Previously, my extender was working perfectly.

Now, when I follow the steps to reset/connect it to the new internet network (press the rest button, WPS, then all lights eventually turn solid green on the extender), within my list of WiFi options on my phone, I see the new [WiFi name]_EXT and [WiFi name]_5GEXT show up. However, when I enter my password to try and connect, it says: "Saved / Check password and try again". I get this same message for both extender options. 

When I tried on my iPad, it simply says "Incorrect password for [WiFi name]_EXT" -- but I used this same password and am able to connect to the router directly, no problem... just not the extender...

So, to be extra sure it wasn't a typo, I completely reset my Internet password. No change. I am 100% I am entering the password correctly. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Extender won't connect to WiFi, error message "Saved / Check password and try again"-Solution

@LH01 

Hi,

I noticed you set up the RE200 via the WPS button. I used to see one feedback that after pressing the WPS button on the host router and the extender, the host router will randomly generate a password for the extender. 

Why is my main router’s wireless password changed after using WPS to setup the Range Extender?

Could you please try to set the RE200 via the web interface or Tether APP?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Extender won't connect to WiFi, error message "Saved / Check password and try again"-Solution

This is exactly it!!! Thank you so much, @David-TP!

And for anyone reading this post in the future, with a similar issue, here are the steps I took:

1. I opened the TP-Link app (called Tether). Under "My Devices," I clicked on the RE200

Here, I saw the 2.4G and 5G options listed, and the app has generated a new password for them, as David mentioned. Note: it is incredibly long!

3. I copied the 'new' password it had generated.

A few options to do this:

(A) write it down on a piece of paper (click on the grey eye with a strike through symbol to see the password). Again, it is really long!

(B) use the share button on the right, next to the network name, [WiFi name]_EXT, (blue rectangle with an arrow pointing up), and then select the option to copy this text (symbol that looks like two rectangles stacked on top of eachother) -- note, this is the option/symbol that appears on an Android phone so it may look different on an iPhone/iPad. Then, paste this copied text into a notes app (or draft email.. anywhere really), and re-copy only the password (not the full "My WiFi.. Network name.." info). 

4. I entered the new password to connect to the extender, rather than my WiFi password. 

To do this, I opened up my list of WiFi networks on my phone (something like: Settings > Network and Internet > Internet). I selected the [WiFi name]_EXT and pasted in the new password. Repeat for the [WiFi name]_5GEXT option. 

5. Voilà! Connected! 

Thank you again, @David-TP! I really appreciate it :)

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply

@LH01 

Hi,

I noticed you set up the RE200 via the WPS button. I used to see one feedback that after pressing the WPS button on the host router and the extender, the host router will randomly generate a password for the extender. 

Why is my main router’s wireless password changed after using WPS to setup the Range Extender?

Could you please try to set the RE200 via the web interface or Tether APP?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options

This is exactly it!!! Thank you so much, @David-TP!

And for anyone reading this post in the future, with a similar issue, here are the steps I took:

1. I opened the TP-Link app (called Tether). Under "My Devices," I clicked on the RE200

Here, I saw the 2.4G and 5G options listed, and the app has generated a new password for them, as David mentioned. Note: it is incredibly long!

3. I copied the 'new' password it had generated.

A few options to do this:

(A) write it down on a piece of paper (click on the grey eye with a strike through symbol to see the password). Again, it is really long!

(B) use the share button on the right, next to the network name, [WiFi name]_EXT, (blue rectangle with an arrow pointing up), and then select the option to copy this text (symbol that looks like two rectangles stacked on top of eachother) -- note, this is the option/symbol that appears on an Android phone so it may look different on an iPhone/iPad. Then, paste this copied text into a notes app (or draft email.. anywhere really), and re-copy only the password (not the full "My WiFi.. Network name.." info). 

4. I entered the new password to connect to the extender, rather than my WiFi password. 

To do this, I opened up my list of WiFi networks on my phone (something like: Settings > Network and Internet > Internet). I selected the [WiFi name]_EXT and pasted in the new password. Repeat for the [WiFi name]_5GEXT option. 

5. Voilà! Connected! 

Thank you again, @David-TP! I really appreciate it :)

Recommended Solution
Options