BE85 randomly restarts

BE85 randomly restarts

BE85 randomly restarts
BE85 randomly restarts
3 weeks ago
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.18 Build 20240409 Rel. 41111

I've been experiencing random router reboots and Wifi disconnections, at least twice today and once yesterday. When it happened the router led was yellow and Wifi reappeared after the reboot was done. It's in a home with about 15 connected devices, including one Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra connected to a separate MLO network - mentioning this as I've seen that previous firmware versions had issues with that model.

When the last disconnection happened, two devices were actively streaming (an Apple TV and iPhone).

There are repeated errors like the ones below in the logs, right around the time the disconnection happened:

Sat May  4 22:20:49 2024 daemon.err conn-indicator: [connecting_cb] Connection to ubus failed: /var/run/ubus.sock: No such file or directory
Sat May  4 22:20:49 2024 daemon.err /usr/bin/apsd: loop_avoidance_configure_bridge_with_mode:356: Error: configure hyfi bridge with mode FAP
Sat May  4 22:20:53 2024 user.emerg : tp259,505[15711]:
Sat May  4 22:20:54 2024 user.crit : ntp check success!!!; errno(2): No such file or directory

I have downloaded debug logs from the web interface if that should help. Happy to share with support if helpful.

Options
8 Reply
Re:BE85 randomly restarts
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Dokterd0k you probably should try the last know working firmware.

I have a V2 on the same firmware version without problems.

Only support would be able to get info about the hardware changes to know about that

but usually hardware changes are driven by component availability issues and not

functional problems.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Dokterd0k 

Hi, nice to see you again.

I'd like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Please check whether you have received my email and you could also reply to the email with the debug logs you have downloaded.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
3 weeks ago

Hello again @David-TP! and thank you for your reply. I've received the email, and have shared the logs with the senior engineer.

@raven-au Yes I'm running the latest public version of the firmware, as far as I know. I wouldn't know for sure if it's a hardware or software / configuration related issue at this stage. I'd be curious to know what the hardware changes are between the different BE85 hardware versions.

Options
3 weeks ago

Dokterd0k wrote

Hello again @David-TP! and thank you for your reply. I've received the email, and have shared the logs with the senior engineer.

@raven-au Yes I'm running the latest public version of the firmware, as far as I know. I wouldn't know for sure if it's a hardware or software / configuration related issue at this stage. I'd be curious to know what the hardware changes are between the different BE85 hardware versions.

@Dokterd0k my point was the firmware works for me so it might not be faulty. Support will need to be consulted regarding hadware changes but that's unlikely to be the source of the problem either.

It might be interactions between the wireless drivers on one or more clients and the router (I've seen that before myself)... some experimintation might help ... otherwise it's a very difficult problem to work out given the limited options available to check.

Options
2 weeks ago

@raven-au Quick update: Aaron from TP-Link's support installed a debug firmware on the router via a remote TeamViewer session, and ran a bunch of scripts on my laptop to capture crash logs via putty/TFTP when they happen. This requires me to leave an always on Windows laptop plugged to the router via Ethernet. As the laptop is my daily driver, I'll plug it in overnight or during week-ends.

It might be helpful to have such a crash-logging feature embedded in the router itself in the future (if that's even possible), as I can imagine that not a lot of users are able to do such involved troubleshooting steps. It could help fetch more bug reports and solve issues more rapidly.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Dokterd0k 

Dokterd0k wrote 

It might be helpful to have such a crash-logging feature embedded in the router itself in the future (if that's even possible), as I can imagine that not a lot of users are able to do such involved troubleshooting steps. It could help fetch more bug reports and solve issues more rapidly.

It's not trivial to implement that.

You can't store more than probably the last debug log on the router, there's usually not enough storage. So you have to send them to a server immediately after it reboots.

Then there's working out what's wrong from the log info. which usually takes multiple logging refinements and even then may not provide sufficient information to diagnose it.

Options
2 weeks ago

@raven-au I fully agree that it's not trivial, and have no doubt that TP-Link's product team is doing a good job at assessing the usual impact, ease, and confidence factors in their feature prioritization decisions. I'm merely sharing how an ideal experience could look like for me as a user + buyer of such a premium device.

I have to say, I admire how customer-first and responsive their community, support and engineering teams are with my interactions, something I've rarely seen in the tech field. With Apple for example, I frequently get gaslit, dismissed, or ignored when I report an issue in their dev forums or radars. Over here, I had my forum feedback filed with a ticket and a live session scheduled within 24h with an engineer to help find a solution.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Dokterd0k yes, I have to agree the willingness to try and help is good.

And while that may be the case with support my experience with logging tickets has not been that way.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 219

Replies: 8

Related Articles