KS230 v2.20 Install Unsuccessful — no lights at all

2024-03-15 02:12:23

Hello all. My first issue installing Kasa switches -- the KS230 kit, v2.20.

I have attempted to install the dimmers three times, and each time, I get no lights at all on my switches when I flip the breaker on. Following instructions very carefully (we have other kasa switches in our home, but no 3-way dimmers).

Determining the Line/Load wires was easy... Line wire (active using voltage detector) and neutral wire group in the Main dimmer box at top of stairs; load wire (marked hot) in Satellite box in basement showed inactive when wires disconnected as per instructions. Instructions say no need to distinguish the travelers. Connect everything, push switches into box carefully, and use the screws to fasten switches down. Turn on breaker. Nothing. No lights, red or orange or green - nothing. 

I can disconnect everything and reconnect old 3-way switches okay. They work. However, it seems no matter how I connect the travelers on the kasa switches, I cannot get the traveler to show voltage on the main switch like I can with the old setup. 

The line wire on the main dimmer switch indicates voltage, and so does the neutral coming out of the switch, so the switch is getting power. But not either of the travelers do, so I'm guessing the satellite switch isn't getting power.

Dimmers are operating three LED ceiling panels, total 150W.

Any suggestions before I call my electrician? TIA (I tried attaching photos but I can't get that to work either! :) 

Options
6 Reply
Re:KS230 v2.20 Install Unsuccessful — no lights at all
2024-03-15 02:23:49 - last edited 2024-03-15 02:26:22

Main dimmer (figured out how to upload a photo)

Options
2024-03-15 15:36:44 - last edited 2024-03-15 16:17:21

@gto49 

Ok, a few hours later, and still no help. I've been checking Kasa/TP-Link customer support and have created a case number and the response I received says I would hear from them within 48 hours, but if urgent (its not) I can do the chat thing. 

What I have discovered from the Support pages is there are two versions of this 3-way dimmer KS230: V1 and V2. When I select V2 (which I have), there are only two hardware versions I can choose from: V1 or V1.8. I have V2.20. I have no idea what the differences are. In fact, when I ordered the KS230 kit, I was not aware there were two different versions. In checking the instalation instructions for V1 (or V1.8?), I see there is a difference in the connections. In the other version (V1), there is no Load wire coming out of the Sat switch, and you must differentiate between the two travelers, labelling them T1 and T2. The Load wire in the Sat box is connected to the T2 traveler terminal along with the T2 wire. Again, there is no Load wire coming out of the Sat switch at all. Both the Load wire and the T2 wire are connected to the same Traveler terminal on the Sat switch. That's quite different than the V2 version I have.

I don't know if the V1 kit can fix my issue. I only say that because no matter how I connect the Main dimmer switch in the V2.20 version I have, when I turn on the breaker and check the active wires with my tester, there is no power going to the Sat box in the basement. Nothing. There is power in the Line wire in the Main box, and power in the white Neutral wire coming out of the switch, but absolutely nothing in either of the travelers -- and from what I can determine from the old setup with the dumb switches, whether the lights are on or off, one of the travelers is active. Same with the Sat box in the basement. With the old dumb setup, no matter if the lights are on or off, there is power to something in the Sat box. But not with the smart dimmers. I get nothing. The Main dimmer has no lights at all. Holding the left reset button down on the switch does not do anything.

I've tried everything at least a half-dozen times, and nothing changes. No power goes to the Sat box downstairs, and no lights appear on the Main switch. That being the case, no matter how the Sat switch is wired up, since there is no power going to it from the Main switch, I assume nothing will change. I was tempted to connect the Load wire in the Sat box to the T2 terminal along with the T2 wire on the Sat switch, but I don't see how that will change anything when there's no power going to any of the wires in the Sat box in the first place.

So I'm at a dead end. This was supposed to be easy, just for the convenience of controlling my basement lights using my phone. I believe the only option I have, if I want dimmer switches, is to buy dumb dimmers. But at least then I can dim the lights. 150W of LED lighting is nice and bright but I don't need 100% brightness all the time.

I'll wait until after the weekend. Hopefully someone can help me figure this out. 🤷‍♂️  Nothing like a pair of smart switches to make you feel like a dummy.

Options
2024-03-18 04:01:11

@gto49 You're not alone. I am having the exact same issue with the 230 V2. Double and triple checked the wiring and reinstalled multiple times. Still no lights on master or satellite. I have installed other Kasa switches with no problems. Hoping someone can help before I decide to return the kit.

Options
2024-03-18 11:32:47

@kpunk 

Thanks for letting me know! I finally got a response from support at almost the same time as your comment. There's a number of steps they suggest I go through, the first is to install the switch in a different circuit box somewhere to try and reset the switch to factory settings. They then asked me a number of questions about the devices and total load the switch is controlling, along with information on the individual devices, whether or not there have been any power outages or weather related events that would affect the operation of the switch, and finally to supply them with the serial number on the back of the switch and a copy of proof of purchase.

I have one other location I can install the switch in our home. I suppose that is to see if I get the same results -- which is nothing. I know the Main switch is getting power, verified by two detectors. The Line coming into the box is live when flipping the breaker, and the neutral wire coming out of the switch is also showing power. But the switch is completely dead.

I ordered the kit from Amazon, and unfortunately, by taking my time installing the new ceiling and lights, I'm past the return date. That would have been my first choice.

installing the switch in a different location seems to me to be a lot of work just to verify the switch works. Especially when I know standard on-off 3-way switches work fine in the circuit already. The only concern might be the total load on the switch. I believe 150W is maximum, which is what I have. But they should still light up when power is supplied, right?

Options
2024-03-19 09:11:26

@gto49 

It's probably a hardware failure since the traveler lines detected no voltage after the line wire connects. You may contact the retailer or local TP-Link support to proceed with warranty. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-03-19 13:48:23
The return window for the retailer closed on January 31, so a return is impossible. And where is my “local TP support” located? I just wrote to Tech Support regarding this issue. I have wasted two days of my time on this install following their instructions. The last email I received from them asked me to use V1 instructions on a V2.20 kit! Sorry, but that won’t work. The wiring is different. So I’m done. I’m exhausted.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 328

Replies: 6

Related Articles