Deco XE75 Long Range Access Point Suggestion

a week ago
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20231225 Rel. 58766

I just updated my home wifi with the XE75 system.  I now need an access point at separate building 300 ft away from my house where my new XE75 exits.  Can I get a recommendation (preferably a tp-link device) that will allow me to get an access point 300 ft from my XE75 mesh system?  I noticed the Omada line of products but from what I can tell, it isn't compatible with the Deco mesh system?  I need the access point to the build from the house to be connected via wifi.  The access point at the building 300 ft away can be a wired solution.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Neal

Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 Long Range Access Point Suggestion
a week ago

@Neal_C You can extend your deco mesh setup with anny deco products that fits your needs. For example do a wired backhaul from one building to the other or even add in a P series deco that can communicate over the powerline backhaul from one building to the other. Else add in multiple cheap Deco M4 to complete the wireless backhaul between buildings. Also you have the option of adding in a few outdoor deco versions to complete the wireless backhaul.

Links:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2248/

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1588/

Options
a week ago

@Neal_C 

Hi, Welcome to the community.

Is there an open space between the main house and the separate building? and how many devices need internet access in the separate building?

----There was a user feedback about long range Deco solution: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/660402

In this case, there are almost no barriers between the main house and Flume leak detector.

If the two buildings are situated in a densely populated block, the wireless range of the Deco X50-Outdoor will be significantly impacted.

Options
a week ago

I guess my wording wasn't all the great in my original post.  I need a wirless point of access from my house to a new building.  Running a hardwire to and from the buildings would not be cost effective.  I looked up a couple YouTube videos and the X50 doesn't have the range.  The 300 ft range will have to pass through a few trees.  I really don't want anything outside of the house due to aesthetics and the Tucson heat so both the receiver/transmitter or mesh points needs to be inside the buildings.  I was hoping for a mesh point of access but I haven't found anything yet.  It looks like a bridge is going to be my only choice.  Maybe TP-Link will come out with directional devices with more range that are Deco mesh compatible.  Thanks everyone so far for the suggestions.

Neal

Options
a week ago

@Neal_C can you share more information about your 2 locations that you want to connect together. What kind of wiring do you have between them? Powerline, Ethernet, coax tv cables etc. maybe some this infrastructure can be utilized for your deco mesh setup.

else try to watch a few of the options/reviews from the following YouTube channel:

https://youtube.com/@landpet

Else try look at the different tp link mesh unit in the review including the range test. Maybe WiFi 7 is a solution?

Options
a week ago

@Well_Hung_Ling There is no common wiring between the two buildings.  Each power line comes to each building from the transformer and they each have their own power meter.

Options
a week ago

@Neal_C from what I see on the picture one deco unit in each corner of the 2 buildings should be able to reach each other and maybe reach around 50mbps true the walls but this might improve with 2 unit that have lign of sight between them, but again American building are made from wood without real thick concrete walls and no signal interference from neighbor WiFi units.

Btw what speed are you expecting from the second location?

Options
a week ago

@Well_Hung_Ling I loose the signal about 1/3 of the distance between the 2 buildings. 

Options
a week ago

The buildings are concrete block.

Options
a week ago

@Neal_C else the best option is to put some Ethernet cables in the ground between the building and the problem is fixed forever.

Else I see that in a lot of the WiFi 7 reviews that range has been massively improved compared to WiFi 6/5 standards.

btw is garage concrete blocks armed with metal rods?

Options
a week ago

@Well_Hung_Ling That distance is too far for ethernet cable without an inline repeater.  A wireless point to point bridge is the only realistic option for my application.

Wifi 7 adds another band at 6 GHz as I remember. Given the same power output, lower frequencies have less attenuation of the carrier frequency.  So a 2.4 GHz carrier frequency will have less attenuation give the same power output than a 5 or 6 GHz signal.  I think the data rate is better at higher frequencies but it has been long time since my  communication and electromagntic wave classes.

I wish there was a standard for all devices for the mesh option.  I would have been much easier for the end user.

Neal

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 185

Replies: 11

Related Articles