Deco Network Guest WiFi gets no DHCP function on Wired Ethernet Backhaul

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Deco X50-5G   Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hello!

I have been running a mesh network at home using a Deco X50-5G as my router (relying on its 5G connection for Internet) and a three-pack of Deco X50s as satellites around the house. The initial setup relied on a wireless connection between the X50-5G and the X50s, with devices connecting either via Ethernet or via Wireless on the X50-5G or the X50s.

The home network has some wired devices, some wireless devices, and a Guest Network (using the default VLAN id) I want to keep separated.

Here is a simple original topology, before the changes that caused the issue:

X50 #1 (((wireless))) X50-5G (((wireless))) X50 #2 ---(ethernet)--- (TL-SG105) ---(ethernet)--- X50 #3

This setup worked fine. A few days ago, however, I ran an Ethernet backhaul using a 25m long Cat 6 UTP cable between the X50-5G and X50 #2, resulting in the following topology:

X50 #1 (((wireless))) X50-5G ---(ethernet)--- X50 #2 ---(ethernet)--- (TL-SG105) ---(ethernet)--- X50 #3

The Decos are connected directly on each other, without in-between switches except for the TP-Link switch mentioned above, which has never caused problems before.

The problem that appeared is as follows: since I ran the Ethernet backhaul between X50-5G and X50 #2, when relying on X50 #2 and X50 #3 for the Guest WiFi, devices no longer get any DHCP treatment. That is, they get no IP, Mask, Gateway and DNS assignments from the X50-5G, assuming they can even connect to the Guest WiFi through X50 #2 or X50 #3. The Guest WiFi works as intended for X50-5G and X50 #1.

I have confirmed that removing the Ethernet backhaul in question restores functionality, as well as that the Ethernet backhaul is properly manufactured (both using a UTP tester, as well as a laptop which achieves Gigabit Ethernet speeds on the LAN).

I have tried using various ports for the Ethernet backhaul, without success. How do I run the Ethernet backhaul while keeping full Guest WiFi functionality?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco Network Guest WiFi gets no DHCP function on Wired Ethernet Backhaul-Solution

After communication with TP-Link via e-mail, I received beta firmware for the X50-5G and the Guest WiFi appears to work as intended while the Ethernet Backhaul is engaged. I will monitor the situation and update this thread if there are any changes. Thank you very much for the assistance.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco Network Guest WiFi gets no DHCP function on Wired Ethernet Backhaul
a week ago

@Infryndiira 

You didn't give TP-Link switch model, and that is important info. If this is managed switch, check the following TP-Link FAQ article and see if it applies to your case: How to extend guest network when there is a switch between Decos

Options

@Alexandre. It is an unmanaged TL-SG105. The switch has been in place since Day 1 without any issues. There is no switch in the new backhaul link that causes problems; please read my original post.

Options
a week ago

@Infryndiira 

Sorry, can't give you solution when it is an unmanaged switch. Your case might be similar to this one, but it also does not have solution.

For testing purposes exclude switch from your network layout, make it as following:

X50 #1 (((wireless))) X50-5G ---(ethernet)--- X50 #2 ---(ethernet) --- X50 #3

If problem exists with that layout, that'll make it very similar to case I referred to. If problem dissapears, you can consider possible workarounds.

Options
a week ago

@Alexandre. 

I have done some troubleshooting with the following, isolated setup (that is to say, no other devices are connected by wire):

X50-5G ---(ethernet)--- X50 #1

using a prefabricated 1,5m long network cable, and

X50-5G ---(ethernet)--- X50 #2

using the newly installed UTP for Ethernet backhaul.

That is to say, the only devices on wire are the router X50-5G (in 4G/5G mode) and a satellite X50. No switches, no PCs, nothing.

In both instances the X50 (#1 or #2) lost all functionality for the Guest WiFi, as previously described. The home WiFi and the wired network are always operational, no matter the setup.

Taking Guest network not working with Deco X50 connected to Deco X50-4G - Home Network Community (tp-link.com) into account, despite it being with different hardware, I am inclined to believe that the Deco X50-5G is the culprit here and that this could be firmware related. In that thread there is a mention of beta firmware fixing the issue, but there is nothing such that I could find for the X50-5G (EU) v1.0.

For the time being, as a stopgap, I am running the X50-5G with a wireless backhaul, while keeping the rest of my network wired. This makes everything work as intended, with fully functional LAN, home WLAN and guest WLAN. But it would be great to be able to use the Ethernet backhaul function without losing the Guest WiFi functionality, which I do need.

Options
a week ago

@Infryndiira 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

I'd like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Please check whether you could receive my email later.

Best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP 

I have received the e-mail, thank you.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP 

I have the exact same issue with an X50 5G and a bunch of X20. Please advise, thanks! 

Options
Re:Deco Network Guest WiFi gets no DHCP function on Wired Ethernet Backhaul-Solution

After communication with TP-Link via e-mail, I received beta firmware for the X50-5G and the Guest WiFi appears to work as intended while the Ethernet Backhaul is engaged. I will monitor the situation and update this thread if there are any changes. Thank you very much for the assistance.

Recommended Solution
Options