Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Signal Source

2023-09-26 06:23:13 - last edited 2024-04-03 08:12:22
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

To create a comprehensive Home Wi-Fi system offering both excellent network speed and comprehensive wireless coverage, it is common to install more than two Deco Mesh units throughout the house. A recommended approach is to position the main Deco unit in the central area of the house, with satellite Mesh units strategically placed around it. This configuration, known as a star topology, offers various advantages. The primary benefit is that there is only one hop between the main Deco and the satellite units, resulting in minimal speed loss during wireless communication. However, a challenge often arises as the internet modem is typically pre-installed in either the basement or attic. In such scenarios, opting for a daisy chain topology becomes a more practical solution rather than a star topology, such as the following multi-story floor plans:

Then How does the satellite Deco decide to connect which Mesh unit? 

Deco intelligently selects the optimal signal source on its own, taking into consideration not only the signal strength but also the connection rate. This ensures that the satellite Deco units maintain consistent speed and reliable connections. After conducting a comprehensive comparative analysis, the main Deco remains selected by the satellite Deco, guaranteeing a stable and high-performance connection. 

For more details, please refer to Why does the farther satellite Deco always tend to connect to the main Deco?

Is there a way to force the connection If I want to change the current signal source?

Yes! With the recent firmware release, More and more Deco products support customizing Connection Preference which allows user to customize their own network topology based on the actual placement. It gives us three options:
•    Customize the preferred signal source on satellite Deco.
•    Select the preferred connected Deco on mobile clients.
•    Decide whether to connect 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz for mobile clients. 
With a little help from the Connection Preference, the Deco Mesh System could provide every satellite Deco and each client with the expected signal source, then the optimal speed and reliable connection.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How to configure the connection preference on the Deco APP?
How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

2. How do I know if my device supports connection preference?
Please click Here to get the supported models.

3. Can I still select the Connection Preference if some models in the Mesh network do not have this feature?
You are able to customize the preference signal source on the Deco APP as long as the selected satellite Deco Supports Connection Preference. However, selecting the preferred bands and Deco on mobile clients requires support on all Deco units in the Mesh.

4. What if the mobile client does not connect the preferred Deco?
A client device decides whether to roam or not depends on many factors. Please refer to This Link for further explanation.

Options
19 Reply
Re:Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Signal Source
2023-11-01 03:45:51 - last edited 2024-04-19 06:43:39

Update:

For Deco S4_V2, please install the following beta firmware that has added the Connection Preference feature:

Deco S4_V2_1.6.1_build_20240328 (Beta)

>>How to Update the Firmware of Deco

Note:

1. Please be sure you have read the Terms and Conditions for TP-Link Beta Firmware before proceeding!

Options
2023-11-25 09:23:07

@David-TP 

Hi 

Deco S4 v2 1-5-1

my units were daisychaining since I bought them. Forced them to by turning off the master.

since a power cut last week they will only configure in star no matter what I do.

This is leaving a very weak signal where I need it and half the speed!

I can see no way of choosing the connection in the app although you say with version 1-5-1 it should be there somewhere.

The links you have supplied lead to how to sort out a VPN!

Help as this issue is rendering the devices almost not fit for purpose.

regards

Simon

Options
2023-12-11 01:53:12
My m9 does not work My layout is like this Living room - - - study room - - - bedroom For some reason the bedroom keeps connecting to living room with a lousy signal If I set connection preferences to study room, the bedroom deco immediately becomes red. Useless update
Options
2023-12-13 10:29:49
I have been seriously facing issues with Deco M4 and my laptop keeps on ping pong between two deco's. This is causing lot of network issues. Can you please let us know when this will officially be released for Deco M4 router Thanks Vikas
Options
2023-12-14 05:45:53

@David-TP Even S4 V2 is getting connection preference feature, but M4 V2 hasn't got it yet 😑

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2023-12-14 09:40:34

@David-TP 

see the above link has been changed now from the vpn to connection but when you click on it all I get is oooops not available.

2 weeks since original question and help request but no reply!!!
I foolishly bought another tp link product that does not work as expected, no reply to my questions about that also.

shocking attitude customer service!

Options
2024-01-08 06:15:20

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Can you downgrade from the beta software once installed? Should I find it unstable, I want to make sure I can roll back....

Thanks

Chris 

Options
2024-01-08 09:47:46

@Chrismid 

Hi, yes, It could. 

But may I know which beta firmware you refer to?

Best regards.

Options
2024-01-08 13:34:05 - last edited 2024-01-08 13:47:18

David-TP wrote

1. How to configure the connection preference on the Deco APP?
How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

@David-TP 

This link I left in quote is broken in original FAQ article. Please fix it. You will need to remove erroneous "/%C2%A0" from the end of that link.

Thanks.

Options
2024-01-08 16:16:13

@David-TP We need the feature "Customize Your Preferred Signal Source" for the M4 V2 pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Now it is 1.5.8 Build 20230619 Rel. 48552

My CCTV is down because it connect to the farther Deco and some CCTVs won't show up as the client in the Deco.

I have 8 CCTVs connect to 3 Deco M4 V2.

Only 4 are shown themselves in the network, the other 4 are not. I don't understand.

After I FING, they are all in the network but why are they on the Client offline list. (This might be because they choose the farther Deco to connect)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6640

Replies: 19

Related Articles