[TL-SG105e v1] packet loss when using Raspberry pi3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-22 16:14:29
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I've got three TL-SG105e v1 switches in use. On one of them, I have a raspberry pi3 plugged in. I've noticed that I get serious packet loss on the pi3 (25-50%) - I've swapped around the cables, I've swapped around ports (I'm using a vlan config, but nothing exotic), I've even swapped out the switches AND the Pi's (I have several inhouse), the problem remains. Packet loss.

As a test I got a Netgear 5 port smart switch, and put that one in (with the same config). Works fine - no more packetloss.

Can someone explain how this is even remotely possible? Is there some kind of low level corruption going on that the 105e can't handle?
Options
15 Reply
Re:[TL-SG105e v1] packet loss when using Raspberry pi3
2017-09-26 09:04:58

devilkin wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I've got three TL-SG105e v1 switches in use. On one of them, I have a raspberry pi3 plugged in. I've noticed that I get serious packet loss on the pi3 (25-50%) - I've swapped around the cables, I've swapped around ports (I'm using a vlan config, but nothing exotic), I've even swapped out the switches AND the Pi's (I have several inhouse), the problem remains. Packet loss.

As a test I got a Netgear 5 port smart switch, and put that one in (with the same config). Works fine - no more packetloss.

Can someone explain how this is even remotely possible? Is there some kind of low level corruption going on that the 105e can't handle?

Are there same problem in Three TL=SG105E V1? This is the old hardware version, the new version is V3. If you connect other PCs to these switch, will you meet the same issue?
I remember the Etherent port of Pi3 only support 100Mbps, I sugget you change the speed and duplex of port with TL-SG105E to Force 100Mbps Duplex, then do the test again.
Options
2017-09-26 17:33:05

devilkin wrote

How did you notice the packet loss? Do connections fail or are you referring to TxBadPkts/RxBadPkts shown on the switch monitoring page?
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-10-07 16:37:45

TPTHZ wrote

Are there same problem in Three TL=SG105E V1? This is the old hardware version, the new version is V3. If you connect other PCs to these switch, will you meet the same issue?
I remember the Etherent port of Pi3 only support 100Mbps, I sugget you change the speed and duplex of port with TL-SG105E to Force 100Mbps Duplex, then do the test again.

Yep, all three. I've tried forcing the port to 100mb FD, but that doesn't change anything.

How did you notice the packet loss? Do connections fail or are you referring to TxBadPkts/RxBadPkts shown on the switch monitoring page?

Because of ping packets (ICMP) getting no replies, freezes on network connectivity, ... so actual network traffic failure.

I guess I do have to mention that I have several VLAN's configured on this switch - three to be exact. No IGMP snooping (tried to put that on and off), no special things, just using 802.1q
Options
2017-10-08 16:31:27

devilkin wrote

Yep, all three. I've tried forcing the port to 100mb FD, but that doesn't change anything.

So strange.even through you reset TL-SG105E to the default factory setting(do not configure anything), I think you still meet the same issue, is it right?
Although I have TL-SG105E, but I have not Raspberry Pi3 now.
Options
2018-06-03 17:49:41
Hey Guys

Just registered to be able to reply to this.

I got TL-SG108E Easy Smart v1 which I initially got for the reasons of separating the LAN, WAN and CCTV network.

First issue I came across is the default VLAN 1 which I had to remove with the HEX file bypass.

Now I'm facing an issue with RPI 2 having an intermittent packet loss every few minutes for about 10 seconds. It's ridiculous.

This only happens when the RPI is connected to it directly.

Changing the duplex options doesn't make a difference.

Any ideas why it could be?

I am also going to run a packet capture as i have a report that the TV box is also failing to play internet radio (also connected via the switch)
Options
2018-06-03 21:39:13
[QUOTE=mateuszd;240800]Hey Guys
Now I'm facing an issue with RPI 2 having an intermittent packet loss every few minutes for about 10 seconds. It's ridiculous.

This only happens when the RPI is connected to it directly.

Changing the duplex options doesn't make a difference.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I was facing. In the end i sold the switches on and replaced them with Netgear stuff.
Options
2018-06-03 22:00:58

mateuszd wrote

H
First issue I came across is the default VLAN 1 which I had to remove with the HEX file bypass.

You could also have installed latest firmware published in January 2018, which fixes the VLAN 1 problem after the user community could convince TP-Link to change the Default_VLAN mess.

Intermittent packet loss is a usual sign of either a) a network loop or b) VLAN leaks.

Although latest firmware allows to remove ports from VLAN 1, it's still possible to create VLAN leaks by weird setups.
If set up correctly, there is no intermittent packet loss to a RasPi, but I'm using a RasPi 3B, not a RasPi 2.
Options
2018-06-03 23:37:52

R1D2 wrote

Although latest firmware allows to remove ports from VLAN 1, it's still possible to create VLAN leaks by weird setups.
If set up correctly, there is no intermittent packet loss to a RasPi, but I'm using a RasPi 3B, not a RasPi 2.

Not convinced. Device plugged in on a TPLink, got packet loss. Identical VLAN setup on 2 other brands of switches, works fine. So well...
There was absolutely nothing special about the vlan setup - i even tested with a different switch (same model), and just traffic between two ports on the same switch.
Options
2018-06-04 02:07:20

devilkin wrote

Not convinced. Device plugged in on a TPLink, got packet loss. Identical VLAN setup on 2 other brands of switches, works fine. So well...
There was absolutely nothing special about the vlan setup - i even tested with a different switch (same model), and just traffic between two ports on the same switch.

I'm not writing this to convince you of anything, since you did sell your TP-Link switches already.

I just did state that my three TP-Link Smart and Easy Smart switches (T1600G, TL-SG108PE and TL-SG108E in a mixed environment with a UBNT EdgeSwitch and a LevelOne switch) work fine with a dozen VLANs and a lot of Unix/Linux devices connected to those switches. No packet loss at all.
Options
2018-06-04 05:06:14
Hey guys, thanks for coming back to me so quick.

I'm quite limited as to the troubleshooting of this issue as the switch actually is located in a remote site and the WAN connection between the modem and the firewall (in a VM) runs through it.

To my surprise, I'm not noticing any packet loss with the internet connection.

It's just the standalone devices that are connected to it (not only the raspberry pi, the LG tv seems to have the same issue).

So the WAN connection lives on VLAN 37, comes tagged on port 1 and leaves untagged on port 2 to the router, port 2 PVID is 37. This allows my VM firewall to access internet via public IP assigned by my ISP.
The LAN stuff was a mess as I was removing VLAN 1 from most ports but I've now reconfigured it (yesterday) and I seem to observe less of this issue. VLAN1 is back on all ports as part of a test to see if this can cause packet loss.
LAN runs on VLAN 32, comes as tagged on port 1 and goes out as untagged on ports 3-5. The PVID is 32 also.

I believe this should be it - here at home I run a rather obsolete Netgear switch with much more complicated VLAN layout and I never had any leaks or other VLAN related issues.

I'm pretty certain this issue is related to the switch which is a shame as I purchased 3 of them last year (and somehow got v1 hardware model on all of them) and now all 3 seem to violate my security practices by leaking packets, as such, I'll be looking to replace them with Netgear... money wasted as I can't return them now.

I'll be honest, I'm disappointed. I really promoted TP Link products to my friends until I discovered this, I lost my confidence in the products.

A hardcoded management VLAN and packet leak is definitely a security risk, might as well not add VLANs at all.

@R1D2 What hardware revision are you running.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3974

Replies: 15