CPE210 reset itself

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE210 reset itself

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
CPE210 reset itself
CPE210 reset itself
2017-09-29 01:50:44
Model : CPE210

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello!

I have installed 2 CPE210 devices, one AP, one Client. I'm using this configuration for a while, 5 sites running fine. Lately, on two sites, both the AP and the client resets itself to default settings. Power loss didn't happen, no one had access to these devices. No heavy loads, usually 12 mbit or less. If i re-program the devices, everything runs fine for 1-2 day, and then sudden reset again. Latest fw installed, no change. POE distance: 2-3m. What may cause this problem?
Options
13 Reply
Re:CPE210 reset itself
2017-10-02 21:21:18
Hello,

I experienced the same issue as the OP. Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Options
2017-10-04 05:35:12
I've contacted a few guys in the security industry where i am at, and it looks like that the POE injector is the problem, it resets the device when even a very tiny mains power instability occurs. It can't be solved by UPS either, only by using better quality POE injectors, which is a shame. It applies to TP-link, and even the U... devices. And the biggest shame is, there is no official confirmation that it's the problem, as You can see, not even a single answer from TP-link.
Options
2017-10-04 08:50:01

freeone wrote

You can see, not even a single answer from TP-link.

Did you contact TP-Link support already? They are not always reading any posting in this user's forum, but they do respond if you open a ticket.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-10-05 01:40:34
I will give it a go, thanks for the heads up!
Options
Samething here
2017-11-29 23:19:10
My CPE210 just reset itself here too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Options
2017-12-15 14:33:08
Hi all

As far as I know, if your CPE keep reset itself, there may be the following reason:

1. Your CPE was not grounded well.
In some area, because of the whether , the geographic environment or the electromagnetic interference, CPE may suffer some current shock.
This current shock would trigger the hardware reset of the CPE. Even more, cause damage to the CPE.
So please make sure that your CPE have been grounded well.

2. When you power the CPE with non provided PoE injector, because other injector's current parameter doesn't meet our CPE,
it will also cause auto reset. So it is recommended to use the provided PoE injector.

3.If the distance between injector and CPE is too long, the CPE will work abnormally.
Maybe reset itself, because the current is unstable when the ethernet cable is too long.

4.If the quality of your Ethernet cable is bad, and influence the current transmission, it will also cause reset problem
Options
2017-12-26 06:04:17
1. Grounding is sorted well, it does not matter.
2. The problem happens with original, and with better quality/higher amp rated injectors too.
3. Distance is 2m-15m, it shouldn't cause problem even at 24V POE.
4. Cat5e 24AWG solid copper should be good enough, but i've tried with 23AWG Solid copper Cat6 too, problem not solved.

What i found, is that the hw rev. 1 almost never does it, v2 almost all does. Never tried a v3, and now i've sent back all items to the distributor.
I've put too many work hours into a toy, because it is not a professional hardware.

Edison_TP-Link wrote

Hi all

As far as I know, if your CPE keep reset itself, there may be the following reason:

1. Your CPE was not grounded well.
In some area, because of the whether , the geographic environment or the electromagnetic interference, CPE may suffer some current shock.
This current shock would trigger the hardware reset of the CPE. Even more, cause damage to the CPE.
So please make sure that your CPE have been grounded well.

2. When you power the CPE with non provided PoE injector, because other injector's current parameter doesn't meet our CPE,
it will also cause auto reset. So it is recommended to use the provided PoE injector.

3.If the distance between injector and CPE is too long, the CPE will work abnormally.
Maybe reset itself, because the current is unstable when the ethernet cable is too long.

4.If the quality of your Ethernet cable is bad, and influence the current transmission, it will also cause reset problem
Options
Do not throw your money and time away
2018-05-21 21:56:45
I wish I could back in time. Bought two CPE210 v2 to connect my companies and every 2 days one of them is reseted.I bought a Furukawa shielded CAT6 with industrial shielded RJ45 and made everything works like a charm in the first day. The cable has 15 meters in both companies.So, If you googled this and come up to this thread, please do NOT buy these toys, like freeone told.
Options
2018-05-31 20:46:02
Unfortunately, I can confirm this with several CPE510
The problem seems to be that besides providing PoE, the device uses one "free" pin of the 8 ethernet lines (4 are used for Fast Ethernet, 2 for PoE) as remote reset line. It seems to be that this line is "open" (not pulled down or up by resistors) so that any floating potential will find its way into the device that thinks is asked to reboot.

Poor engineering I would say.

If ever, the remote reset would work only if the reset signal is there for 10 seconds without interruption.The only thing that might help is to use a RJ45 to RJ45 plug just before the CPE device that interrupts the line being used for remote reset - sorry I don't know which pin that is.

Then, people are saying that the device needs proper grounding. Actually, one should only ground devices ONCE ever. The best way to ground such a device is with something like the ALLNET 95100 at the border between exterior and interior of a building.In case you ground it at TWO spots (on the roof and at the aforementioned border) you are creating a induction loop - a lightning will surely induce great currents in that loop.

Terrible formatting in this form, BTW. You have to insert HTML line breaks for yourself but they are erased when editing. Is TP-Link even a company?
Options
2018-05-31 23:46:35

ande wrote

Unfortunately, I can confirm this with several CPE510The problem seems to be that besides providing PoE, the device uses one "free" pin of the 8 ethernet lines (4 are used for Fast Ethernet, 2 for PoE) as remote reset line. It seems to be that this line is "open" (not pulled down or up by resistors) so that any floating potential will find its way into the device that thinks is asked to reboot.

That's completely wrong - passive PoE needs 4 pins and on every PoE adapter (not only from TP-Link) I know of those 4 pins are used for the 24V power supply. Pin 8 is neither "unused" nor is it used for RESET. Pin 1 (Transmit +) is used for RESET by driving it to 24V permanently for a certain time.

Poor research I would say.

In case you ground it at TWO spots (on the roof and at the aforementioned border) you are creating a induction loop - a lightning will surely induce great currents in that loop.

No idea what did confuse you, but the installation guide clearly shows proper grounding on one spot. Thus, either use a special outdoor cable with an additional ground-wire or use direct grounding on the pole - that's what the grounding terminal is for.

Anyway, I never ever had such a firmware restore on no CPE or WBS (and I have several running since years now at different places).
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 9760

Replies: 13

Related Articles