CPE520 power consumption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE520 power consumption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
CPE520 power consumption
CPE520 power consumption
2017-10-01 22:01:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am running the CPE520 from a DC 24 V and I want to know the ACTUAL power consumption.
The specifications lists "14 watts", which I think is incorrect. I have monitored the current (on a multi-meter, which may not show the peak currents I agree) and have found it to be around 130 ma max @24 volts. That makes the average max to be around 3 or 4 watts. These values measured at the Access side. My setup: One CPE520 configured as an access point and another as client, Maxtream enabled. 3-4 watts power was measured at the access side . That is a HUGE difference between the specs (14 watts) and actual (3-4 watts)
Can some one tell me if this 14 watts that is mentioned in its specs is a transitory peak max or one that needs correction in the data sheet?
I need to run this off a battery and I need to size up the battery Amp hr capacity
Also what is the average max current that I need to design my DC-DC power supply for to supply 24 V. I am using the DC-DC boost XL6009 module (modified)
Thank you
regards
Sudhir
Options
1 Reply
Re:CPE520 power consumption
2017-10-08 04:15:39

sudhir_brahma wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am running the CPE520 from a DC 24 V and I want to know the ACTUAL power consumption.
The specifications lists "14 watts", which I think is incorrect. I have monitored the current (on a multi-meter, which may not show the peak currents I agree) and have found it to be around 130 ma max @24 volts. That makes the average max to be around 3 or 4 watts. These values measured at the Access side. My setup: One CPE520 configured as an access point and another as client, Maxtream enabled. 3-4 watts power was measured at the access side . That is a HUGE difference between the specs (14 watts) and actual (3-4 watts)
Can some one tell me if this 14 watts that is mentioned in its specs is a transitory peak max or one that needs correction in the data sheet?
I need to run this off a battery and I need to size up the battery Amp hr capacity
Also what is the average max current that I need to design my DC-DC power supply for to supply 24 V. I am using the DC-DC boost XL6009 module (modified)
Thank you
regards
Sudhir

AFAIK, the XL6009 is rated up to 4A
Presuming you are running this off 12V batteries, you should have no reason to worry about the current ratings

As for battery sizing, power specs (esp for low power devices) typically tend to use the highest draw - probably inclusive of the startup current requirement including the draw of the power filter caps
Your battery sizing should however be based on the BAU operating draw - and 4W sounds about right for the CPE520
A regular 7H lead acid should supply you with several hours of backup - which should hopefully be enough for any transient brownouts
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 580

Replies: 1

Related Articles