TL-WA7210N Maximum associated stations?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-13 05:10:20
Model : TL-WA7210N

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 140730

ISP :

Hello all, I've setup a TL-WA7210N with an omnidirectional Anthena (21dbi), but once I reach 5 clients, connections starts to drop out.
Latency (ping - icmp echo) tests show higher than 3000ms replies.
The latest firmware says that it should support at least 32 clients simultaneously.
What is the maximum limit of stations?
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WA7210N Maximum associated stations?
2017-10-13 15:58:21

acortina wrote

The latest firmware says that it should support at least 32 clients simultaneously.

Where did you read this? Last firmware for this AP increases the internal storage for associated clients to 64 at max., but this does only mean that storage capacity has been increased, not necessarily that 64 stations can connect to the AP simultaneously.

The practical limit of associated stations depends on many factors such as the client's usage pattern, WiFi mode and speed in use (dynamically negotiated!), available AirTime in this frequency band, interferences and many other environmental influences. Since the 2.4 GHz is often overcrowded, there is only a small amount of AirTIme stations can use to allocate a given channel. In real life you could connect between 15 to 25 stations to a 2.4GHz device using moderate bandwidth and maybe some more with small bandwidth usage if (and only if) you have an ideal WiFi environment, i.e. almost free WiFi channel, N mode used by all stations, 40MHz channel width (8 channels in use!) and excellent wireless link quality.

Furthermore, dropping connections may be caused by bad wireless links, for example on weak TX power etc. An indicator for this would be if the stations whose connections are dropped are always the same stations.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-10-13 20:59:22

R1D2 wrote

Where did you read this? Last firmware for this AP increases the internal storage for associated clients to 64 at max., but this does only mean that storage capacity has been increased, not necessarily that 64 stations can connect to the AP simultaneously.

The practical limit of associated stations depends on many factors such as the client's usage pattern, WiFi mode and speed in use (dynamically negotiated!), available AirTime in this frequency band, interferences and many other environmental influences. Since the 2.4 GHz is often overcrowded, there is only a small amount of AirTIme stations can use to allocate a given channel. In real life you could connect between 15 to 25 stations to a 2.4GHz device using moderate bandwidth and maybe some more with small bandwidth usage if (and only if) you have an ideal WiFi environment, i.e. almost free WiFi channel, N mode used by all stations, 40MHz channel width (8 channels in use!) and excellent wireless link quality.

Furthermore, dropping connections may be caused by bad wireless links, for example on weak TX power etc. An indicator for this would be if the stations whose connections are dropped are always the same stations.

Hey, thanks for the reply.
That information came from:
http://www.tp-link.com/ar/download/TL-WA7210N.html#Firmware

Where, on latest firmware, it states:
(2)The number of maximum associated clients increases to 64;

Would you rather recommend a different product? I need to keep a minimum of 35 terminals connected due to BYOD policy..
Options
2017-10-16 03:18:55

acortina wrote

Where, on latest firmware, it states:
(2)The number of maximum associated clients increases to 64;

Yes, I saw this. It was increased, but this does not mean that it is guaranteed to work with 64 clients. Depends on many factors, see my previous post. Maybe the limit was too low in previous firmware versions (40? 32? 20? 16?).

Would you rather recommend a different product? I need to keep a minimum of 35 terminals connected due to BYOD policy..

Yes. In a BYOD environment I would recommend two EAPs for indoor use or two EAP110-Outdoor for outdoor use. Maybe, a WBS210 with TL-ANT2410MO (WBS being the successor to the TL-WAx210 product line, which reached EOL) would also suitable for outdoor use. With two devices you could serve 30-40 clients, but it always depends on their usage pattern. With one device you could probably also serve more than 20 clients, but throughput might decrease.

Bear in mind that max. WiFi bandwidth/max. number of clients not only depend on the AP, but also on client's devices (do all support 802.11n or do some still use 802.11g?), the overall environment (is the whole area covered and a sparse populated area, almost free of interferences or are there lot of neighboring APs around?) among other parameters.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1085

Replies: 3