IGMP or VLAN on TL-SG108E Advice Needed Multicast HDMI Sender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-27 18:55:10
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

First time poster here coming in hope for some advice with some issues I'm having. I am a novice when it comes to networks, I know my way around but would not call myself very knowledgeable in this field. Apologies for posting under the business section but I couldn't find the relevant router section for home users.

I've done a quick diagram of the setup in my house which I hope is clear:

The Archer C9 is connected to my Virgin Media router which is in modem mode.

The issue that I'm facing is that every time I plug the HDMI sender in which is sending video from my CCTV NVR down to the living room, the device is multicasting which is crippling the network in my games room and the office! From my office I usually get 220Mbps+ internet speed but with the HDMI sender plugged in I am lucky to get 5Mbps which is a killer for me as I work from home so need a decent reliable internet connection.

What I am trying to achieve is to stop the HDMI sender from flooding my network crippling every device and only connecting to the HDMI receiver only.

Can anyone help me out with some options I'm thinking of?

1. Set up a VLAN just for the HDMI sender and receiver. This is what I've been trying to set up but am getting stuck. I can set up the port that the HDMI sender is connected to on the SG108E as a VLAN with Tagging enabled... however I can't seem to find any settings on the Archer C9 to push any VLAN traffic with a certain tag to the HDMI receiver. Would I need to buy a second SG108E device (or maybe the SG105E) and place that in the living room between the first SG108E and the Archer?? So the network would look like this:

Or should I just bite the bullet and DD WRT the Archer so I can have VLAN?

Or is there an option on the Archer that I'm not seeing?

2. I haven't tried this yet as I wasted enough time on the first option researching and trying different things and have given up for now. On the TL-SG108E I can enable IGMP v2 or v3 and can also enable this on the Archer C9. I haven't tested this yet - would this possibly resolve my issue or is the IGMP on the Archer only for incoming traffic from the modem?

3. Is there another option short of running another network cable? I don't particularly want to run more Cat 6 cables as I put the original cables through trunking and plastered them behind the walls. Not really up for ripping plaster off and having all that redone which would cost me quite a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Options
2 Reply
Re:IGMP or VLAN on TL-SG108E Advice Needed Multicast HDMI Sender
2017-10-31 13:51:05

The_IMF wrote

1. Set up a VLAN just for the HDMI sender and receiver. This is what I've been trying to set up but am getting stuck. I can set up the port that the HDMI sender is connected to on the SG108E as a VLAN with Tagging enabled... however I can't seem to find any settings on the Archer C9 to push any VLAN traffic with a certain tag to the HDMI receiver. Would I need to buy a second SG108E device (or maybe the SG105E) and place that in the living room between the first SG108E and the Archer?? So the network would look like this:

Or should I just bite the bullet and DD WRT the Archer so I can have VLAN?

Or is there an option on the Archer that I'm not seeing?

2. I haven't tried this yet as I wasted enough time on the first option researching and trying different things and have given up for now. On the TL-SG108E I can enable IGMP v2 or v3 and can also enable this on the Archer C9. I haven't tested this yet - would this possibly resolve my issue or is the IGMP on the Archer only for incoming traffic from the modem?

3. Is there another option short of running another network cable? I don't particularly want to run more Cat 6 cables as I put the original cables through trunking and plastered them behind the walls. Not really up for ripping plaster off and having all that redone which would cost me quite a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Before give the corresponding solution, I think we should confirm some information about your media system, as This media system is based on IGMP or only use multicast.
If there are IGMP query and IGMP report packet in this media system, you need configure IGMP Snooping in TL-SG105E.
If there are only multicast udp packet, you need separate your network to different vlan.
Options
Re:IGMP or VLAN on TL-SG108E Advice Needed Multicast HDMI Sender
2017-11-02 06:13:25

TPTHZ wrote

Before give the corresponding solution, I think we should confirm some information about your media system, as This media system is based on IGMP or only use multicast.
If there are IGMP query and IGMP report packet in this media system, you need configure IGMP Snooping in TL-SG105E.
If there are only multicast udp packet, you need separate your network to different vlan.

Thanks for the reply - I solved it with buying another SG108E and using VLAN. Network is all running well now.

I posted that thread over a week ago and it only made it through moderation so ended up on a different forum. Pretty poor for a so called support community.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2028

Replies: 2

Related Articles