PTP but over a hill W/O Line of Sight in the country

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-16 09:04:45
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Howdy,
I'm using a pair of cpe210s. The goal is to get the net from point A to point B about 1 km apart. The problem is a large hill in the way. I thought I'd use a cpe210 as a repeater between them but, cpe210s being directional, kills that notion.

I have found a way to get power to a central location on the hill but I need a recommendation on how to relay the signal from the local cpe210 to the hilltop and then from the hilltop to the remote cpe210, hopefully without losing bandwidth.

The remote cpe210 connects to a tp-link WR802N travel router and works great. :rolleyes:

Everything I have is tp-link and much prefer to stay with that mfgr. Keeping cost down is important as this setup is for my personal use. (It actually operates a Ring Doorbell).

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
Dan
Options
5 Reply
Re:PTP but over a hill W/O Line of Sight in the country
2017-11-16 09:11:24
You could either use two CPEs connected together by wire on top of the hill as a relay or consider use of WBS210 with an omnidirectional antenna TL-ANT2410MO. However, this antenna is not (yet) available in all countries, I'm still waiting for it to appear in Europe.

But note that repeater mode 1) cuts the total bandwidth by half and 2) might introduce the Hidden Node Problem (see Wikipedia for an explanation). So, two CPEs would probably be better.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-11-16 20:03:13
Thanks much R1D2. I was hoping I could connect 2 cpe210s back to back. Do you know of any instruction to do that?

For talking I think we should call them something like...

Local for the one most directly connected to the net (L).
Local Remote for the direct link from the L (LR).
End Remote for the relay atop the hill (ER).
End for the one at the final link (E).

The question then is what are the best modes for each of these?

I think this is most obvious but it doesn't seem to want to be bidirectional...

L - AP mode
LR - Client mode
ER - AP mode
E - Client mode

I am very unsure of both the relay cpe210s mode. It seems there are other things to consider.
Please help if you can,
Dan
Options
2017-11-17 02:36:50

Drdan wrote

I was hoping I could connect 2 cpe210s back to back. Do you know of any instruction to do that?

Connecting back to back? That's not possible. They use directional antennas radiating the signal forward in one (physical!) direction only.

Mounting them back to back and connecting them by a cable so that they wirelessly connect in opposite directions with two remote counterparts is indeed possible, yes. Such a setup would be a "classic" relay station then.

The question then is what are the best modes for each of these?

I think this is most obvious but it doesn't seem to want to be bidirectional...

Did you mean symmetric? Any wireless link always supports bi-directional data flow independent of the mode its devices on both ends are working in.

L - AP mode
LR - Client mode
ER - AP mode
E - Client mode

Yes, correct modes. It's not important which one is working as AP and which one is working as client, except if you use a WBS210 with omnidirectional antennas, then the WBS210 would need to work as an AP in order to let more than one CPE client connect to it. With WBS the setup would be:

L - client mode (CPE)
LR/ER - AP mode (WBS with TL-ANT2410MO)
E - client mode (CPE)

I am very unsure of both the relay cpe210s mode. It seems there are other things to consider.

"Relay" just means that it is a station relaying the signal, but it does not describe any mode the relay works in. It's just kind of an extension of the coverage area, in your case an extension of the range of free LoS along the hill up on one side and down on the other side. While in wire-based Ethernet terminology such an extender would just be a signal amplifier often called a "(signal) repeater", in wireless networking terminology it is called a "relay" due to the nature of half-duplex "relaying" (i.e. first receiving from one side, then sending at the other side). Of course, wireless repeaters are relays in this sense, too.

I do not recommend "repeater" and "bridge" modes for the CPEs. They are difficult to set up correctly for a stable link if you want to avoid the Hidden Node Problem, not to mention the half cut in bandwidth for each repeater in-between.

You can avoid the HNP completely by using four CPEs or by using two CPEs and one WBS with omnidirectional antennas.
Options
2017-11-17 03:11:07
Thanks a million R1D2. I think I've got it. If necessary I can always experiment with the relay modes. What I meant by saying the cpe210 was not bidirectional was that is radiation pattern was one way only. Sorry for the confusion. I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain and answer my questions in detail. I think you're due a promotion to R2D3.

Do have a great day.
Options
2017-11-17 03:14:41
You are welcome, Drdan. As for update to R2D3 will ask support line at next occasion. ;)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 903

Replies: 5