Extending Hotspot to Second Building

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-18 14:01:05
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

We have two cabins about 200 ft apart with a mobile hotspot at one that I would like to extend to the second. The hotspot doesn't have any ethernet ports so I can't connect to it directly. This would only be used at most a few weekends a year so I'm not worried about the performance I just want basic internet. Also, if possible I would like the option to connect a 3rd location at some point in the future that is about the same distance from the base cabin.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Extending Hotspot to Second Building
2017-11-20 11:36:53
How is the environment like? Is it a clear line of sight between the two cabins? Any obstacles?

Actually it's hard to recommend products for this network because the mobile hotspot normally should be located inside your cabin. And the products best for your network would be Outdoor AP. The wireless link between the two cabins can be established theoretically but they would be very weak and unstable. Because i am not confident with my solutions.You may look at them just for references.

I just thought about two Options. One is to add CPE working as AP Client Router Mode outside the second cabin and add a wireless router inside the cabin. The topology would be like the attached pic. You'd better put your mobile hospot outside the Cabin A. Putting it on the roof is best.
1. Install CPE210/510 (depends on your hotspot) in front of Cabin B and configure it as AP Client Router Mode (choose dynamic IP when configuring connection type of WAN port) by following at link guide http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-726.html. Around the outside of Cabin B, there would be bad coverage because CPE has a directional antenna.
2. Connect a SOHO router such as Archer C7 or whatever else to the LAN Port of CPE and put them inside the Cabin B. there will be a good coverage but since the link between two cabins would not be stable, so the house will get unstable access.

The other is to use CAP300-Outdoor with its WDS in FAT mode. However, considering the 60m distances and WDS on CAP300-Outdoor only support four address wds, It's hard to say if this is gonna work.
File:
cabin.pngDownload
Options
Re:Extending Hotspot to Second Building
2017-11-21 05:10:38
The obvious solution would be to take the mobile hotspot into Cabin B when needed there, after all this is what a mobile hotspot is for. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

But seriously, a mobile hotspot will almost certainly not be able to send a signal over 60 meters to a CPE except probably if mounted outdoor on the roof (thus becoming a non-mobile hotspot).

What device are you using, Nate? Is it a MiFi pocket device or some greater beast?
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 514

Replies: 2

Related Articles