TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch Knocks Out Building's Entire Network (LAN)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch Knocks Out Building's Entire Network (LAN)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-28 06:31:07
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Please bear with me as I am not familiar with this product.

Here's the situation: I service the network for a multi-unit apartment/extended stay residence property. The setup is very simple. The Internet feed comes to the IDF on the side of each building, it's connected to a 48-port switch which then is distributed through Cat-5E to the individual units where it's then terminated at the RJ-45 jack in the unit.

The problem they're having is that one resident is trying to use a TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch and every time she connects it, she knocks out service for the entire building. When the TL-SG1005D is disconnected, there are no issues.

I have never seen a switch in an individual unit behave like this before.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks in advance.
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch Knocks Out Building's Entire Network (LAN)
2017-12-06 13:57:07

Time Lord Stu wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Please bear with me as I am not familiar with this product.

Here's the situation: I service the network for a multi-unit apartment/extended stay residence property. The setup is very simple. The Internet feed comes to the IDF on the side of each building, it's connected to a 48-port switch which then is distributed through Cat-5E to the individual units where it's then terminated at the RJ-45 jack in the unit.

The problem they're having is that one resident is trying to use a TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch and every time she connects it, she knocks out service for the entire building. When the TL-SG1005D is disconnected, there are no issues.

I have never seen a switch in an individual unit behave like this before.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure this resident do not connect one loop topology to your building? If only connect one cable to this switch, this switch can not disconnect your network, TL-SG1005D is unmanged switch, there is not managed ip address also.
You need not consider ip conflict.
I suggest your capture the packet, maybe there are broadcast storm in this resident's network.
Options