Connection 2 TL-SG1024DE and passing VLANs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-01 12:57:23
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have 2 TL-SG1024DE swtiches. Each has 18 802.1Q VLANs running fine per switch. 18 ports, each with a different VLAN assigned to it. I had to physically reconfigure some things, so now I have one of the switches cascaded from the other. I cannot figure out how to get the VLANs to pass from the 1st switch to the 2nd. I have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite then to the 1st switch and then 1st switch out to switch 2. Passing traffic fine, just not the VLANs, so am not getting the VLAN IPs on 2nd switch. Any port that should be getting one of the VLAN IPs, instead gets the normal LAN IP. There are a total of 36 VLANs. 18 on 1 st switch, 2nd 18 on the 2nd switch.
Switch 1 port 24 goes to Edgerouter.
Switch 1 port 23 goes to Switch 2 port 24.

I'm really unsure of how to get the VLANs to pass to switch 2. Is this possible? I would think that it is, I'm just not as knowledgeable about VLANs and tagging/untagging etc as I'd like to be. If not possible, could I place an unmanaged switch after the router, then out of that to each TL-SG1024DE and maintain my VLAN setup?

Hope that all makes sense.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Connection 2 TL-SG1024DE and passing VLANs
2018-01-03 10:12:37
maybe you can try to configure as follows,

siwtch1:

port 24:
VLAN ID: need to belong to 36 VLANs
tagged/untagged: If your Edgerouter support 802.1Q tag, you can choose tagged.
PVID: If your Edgerouter does not support 802.1Q tag, and all your devices need to access internet through Edgerouter, you need to create a new VLAN, all your devices need to belong to this VLAN, PVID of port24 need to fill in this VLAN.

port23:
VLAN ID: need to belong to 18 VLANS of switch2
tagged/untagged: tagged
PVID: ALL can be

other port:
VLAN ID: belong their VLAN
tagged/untagged: according to the connecting devices
PVID: their VLAN ID

Switch2:

port24:
VLAN ID: need to belong to 18 VLANS of switch2
tagged/untagged: tagged
PVID: ALL can be

other port:
VLAN ID: belong their VLAN
tagged/untagged: according to the connecting devices
PVID: their VLAN ID

But it cannot promise that a ny port can get one of the VLAN IPs, it need your DHCP server support to assign different IP addresses to different vlans. And SG1024DE cannot set IP address for VLAN.
Options
2018-01-03 23:45:47
I will give this a try. Thanks for replying. Will update later if this worked.
Options
2018-01-06 11:40:10
I was on the right track. Just forgot to update the PVID settings on switch 2 as I had changed the VLAN numbers.

Thanks again for the help. Sometimes you just need a second set of eyes to see the obvious right in front of you.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1136

Replies: 3