No switch exists in the local area network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-21 00:57:46
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I own two TL-SG108E switches, only one is listed in the discovery tool, and I am unable to access its admin interface. I wouldn't mind, as it's working as a switch out of the box, but I want to configure some vlans and adjust QoS.

I have tried the "connect directly with a static IP trick" with nothing else connected to the switch, then browse 192.168.0.1, no luck.

These tricks all worked fine on the first switch. My network is on a 192.168.1.0 range.

I also connected it to an old router I changed to a DHCP server with a 192.168.0.255 range, connect a PC and ran the discovery tool, nothing.

I tried arp, to see if it's listed, nothing. My router shows no leased IP addresses. Anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance.
Options
7 Reply
Re:No switch exists in the local area network
2018-01-21 17:53:28
TL-SG108E hardware version 1 did not offer a web UI, so you could manage it through the Easy Smart Configuration Utility only. Starting with hardware version 2 the switch offers a web UI.

Using static IPs is not a "trick", but the standard procedure in professional network setups. DHCP is mostly useful for non-stationary (mobile) devices, but definitely not for stationary devices such as switches or routers.

If you have hardware version 2, try to reset it to factory defaults and use a direct connection between the switch and your laptop/PC for the initial setup. Make sure you use a static IP on your laptop, too. Assign each switch an unused and unique IP from your network to add it to your network.

If you have hardware version 1, reset it to factory defaults and use the Easy Smart Configuration Utility to configure it for use in your network.

Of course, connecting two TL-SG108E to the same network without having changed their standard IPs will lead to an IP conflict when trying to connect to their web UI.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-01-22 05:58:55
Thanks for the reply.

Both my switches are V3, so they do not have a reset switch, and without UI or Easy Utility access I cannot alter the config or factory reset, unless I'm mistaken.

The first working switch is added and has a new static IP and is, and always was discoverable, so is not in conflict with the new switch. This was easy with the smart utility.

The Easy Smart utility does not detect the second switch, so I can't use that.

I do not normally consider static IPs a trick, but I do when you are assigning them on a temporary basis, in a different subnet to your main network to gain access to the web UI. This was a recommendation that worked from a different post with a similar issue.
Options
2018-01-23 04:05:54

mtcbfs wrote

Both my switches are V3, so they do not have a reset switch, and without UI or Easy Utility access I cannot alter the config or factory reset, unless I'm mistaken.

TL-SG108E v3 has no reset switch? Can you double check against the product picture in the data sheet please? On this product picture it has a reset switch: http://static.tp-link.com/TL-SG108E(UN)_V3_Datasheet.pdf

The Easy Smart utility does not detect the second switch, so I can't use that.

Then either your PC isn't part of the subnet the switch's web UI is assigned to or the switch is broken.

I do not normally consider static IPs a trick, but I do when you are assigning them on a temporary basis, in a different subnet to your main network to gain access to the web UI.

Before a switch can be managed through your network, you always need to initially assign it an IP of your network, except if your network uses the same IP range as the switch's default assignment. And even if the latter, you must ensure that the switch has an unique IP. This initial IP assignment is needed for any manageable switch, not only for the TL-SG108E.

BTW: a discovery doesn't discover devices, it always discovers certain services of a device. Since a TL-SG108E offers a web UI only, you could just discover its web UI, for example by using nmap or other port scanning tools. To check wether your switch is accessible, use the ping command.
Options
2018-01-23 06:31:39
Ok, that last post solved the mystery.

Looks like I purchased the wrong switch, the second one is a TL-SG108, unmanaged. D'oh!

They were both just under £25 on Amazon, I didn't notice the missing E.

Sorry for wasting your time. FYI, even on the wrong subnet, the discovery tool worked on the first switch, and let me change to DHCP from the tool.
Options
2018-01-23 10:41:22
No problem. Maybe you can send back the switch to Amazon and get a TL-SG108E instead.
Options
2018-03-05 17:08:38
I also have the same problem. I did not manage to solve the problem? Please help?
Options
2018-03-05 18:48:53
My problem was of my own making, I had purchased an unmanaged model with no interface. Subtle difference in the model numbers, and they were the same price on Amazon.
Options