Noob Baffled - Easy(?) Setup Question?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-02 05:20:13
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello, all.

Have our main house and two rental properties in the back that share internet with us. Purchased a TL-SG105E 5-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch for security purposes, as
I want to keep the renters out of our network. I just upgraded the firmware to the latest.

I had imagined that I would run a cable from the modem to Port 5 on the switch for internet access. I want to run Port 1 to my Asus router for my private wireless network, and Port 2 to a Unifi Access Point for the renters (they will share with each other). This seems like it should be easy, but I'm totally baffled and haven't been able to figure out how to accomplish this.

Will someone please take mercy on me and give me some guidance?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Options
13 Reply
Re:Noob Baffled - Easy(?) Setup Question?
2018-02-02 16:13:35

genexpieguy wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello, all.

Have our main house and two rental properties in the back that share internet with us. Purchased a TL-SG105E 5-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch for security purposes, as
I want to keep the renters out of our network. I just upgraded the firmware to the latest.

I had imagined that I would run a cable from the modem to Port 5 on the switch for internet access. I want to run Port 1 to my Asus router for my private wireless network, and Port 2 to a Unifi Access Point for the renters (they will share with each other). This seems like it should be easy, but I'm totally baffled and haven't been able to figure out how to accomplish this.

Will someone please take mercy on me and give me some guidance?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Hi
According to your description, your want isolate port1 and port2. You can configure vlan in TL-SG105E.
Port1 and Port 5 belongs to vlan 2
Port2 and Port 5 belongs to vlan 3
Port 1 can not access port2, both port 1 and port2 are able to access internet via port 5.
Options
2018-02-02 23:02:06
Thank you for your reply.

Conceptually I understand that this is what I need to do. I am just at a loss as to how to go about it and the exact settings for it.

Do I accomplish this through Port Based VLAN? I tried that, and only one of the ports worked.

Do I accomplish this through 801.2Q VLAN? And if so, do I also need to configure 801.2Q PVID?

I suppose I am looking for a little hand holding here and need to know the specific settings. As it is right now I'm just kinda trying a bunch of different things and don't really know what I'm doing. It's frustrating because I know this is something easy and I'm just completely missing it. And, once someone shows me how to do it, there's gonna be my palm banging my forehead for being such a dummy!
Options
2018-02-03 00:27:56

genexpieguy wrote

Do I accomplish this through Port Based VLAN? I tried that, and only one of the ports worked.

Do I accomplish this through 801.2Q VLAN? And if so, do I also need to configure 801.2Q PVID?

No. For a very easy setup you just enable MTU (Multi-Tenant Unit) VLAN and select port 5 as the uplink:

Make sure to set the switch's IP to an unused IP of your network before connecting the uplink port to your router to ensure you can address the web UI of the switch, else it will get into a reload loop if you try to use the default IP of 192.168.0.1 to access the switch's web UI while the uplink port is connected to a subnet other than 192.168.0.x.

Keep in mind that MTU VLAN defines an uplink port which will build up several VLANs with each of the other ports. Each VLAN contains two ports, the uplink port and one of the other ports in the switch, so the uplink port can communicate with any other port but other ports cannot communicate with each other.

Also remember to save the config to make settings persistent.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-02-03 06:15:38
Setup the MTU VLAN. Working perfectly. Feeling stupid.

Thanks for your help.
Options
2018-02-03 10:13:14
You're welcome. Don't worry, documentation could be better for this switch than it is.
Options
2018-02-03 19:04:20
công ty in ấn giá rẻ Cao Huy HoÃ*ng chuyên phục vụ bang bao gia in Poster chúc cá»*a hÃ*ng của các bạn lÃ*m việc thÃ*nh công vÃ* nhá»› ủng há»™ cty mình nhé

công ty in offset CAO HUY HOÀNG rất hân hạnh được phục vụ quý khách hÃ*ng thân thÆ°Æ¡ng :
Địa chỉ: 5/2 Nguyá»…n Cá»*u ĐÃ*m, Phường Tân SÆ¡n Nhì, Quáº*n Tân Phú, TP. Hồ ChÃ* Minh
Hotline: 0906 944 359 - 0976 271 035
Trang web: caohuyhoang.com
Options
2018-02-06 15:07:13
Things were working well and then I went and complicated things.

So when I started this thread, I was on AT&T U-Verse DSL. Their modem had a DHCP server and allocated as many IP addresses as needed. As of a few hours ago, I am now on Spectrum, using an Arris TM1602 modem. This modem (I think) will only allocate one IP address.

Originally I had my AT&T modem going right to the TL-SG105E 5-Port switch, then to the MTU VLAN, with Port 1 to my Asus router, and Port 2 to my Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-PRO access point to keep us (on the Asus router) separated from our tenants (on the Unifi access point). It was not a problem allocating IP addresses. Now, with the Spectrum modem, it apparently allocates the one IP address to the switch, which will connect to the Asus router with its own DHCP server, but it can't allocate another IP for the Unifi access point. Or at least I think that's what is going on. I can connect Spectrum to the switch to the Asus router, and it works fine. But as soon as I connect the Unifi to another port, it kills the Asus and there is no connection for the Unifi either. If I just try to connect the Unifi it doesn't work (I know will need to assign a static IP).

So I'm wondering if it is a lost cause trying to configure things with the current connection setup. And, if so, is there a way to set this up with existing equipment so it's modem to Asus router to switch to access point, passing through internet traffic but not allowing intranet connections from the access point through the Asus router. I suppose I could cheat it with an old spare router as a DHCP server directly behind the modem.

Some experienced guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all help.
Options
2018-02-06 18:04:18
If you are talking about a modem offering DHCP (the U-Verse), it is most certainly a combined box with modem and router built into (modems don't offer DHCP). Since the Asus is also a router, but the Ubiquiti AP is not, question is why you did connect the Asus to the switch instead of directly to the Universe, which - if it's a router - separates its network already from that of the Asus and therefore isolates the tenant's network from yours and probably this caused the MTU VLAN to work in first place with different IP addresses aka different subnets.

Now, the question is wether the Arris is a modem or a router. If the latter, connect the Ubiquiti AP to the LAN port of the Arris and the WAN port of the U-Verse to another LAN port of the Arris. Your Asus' WiFi then is automatically separated from the WAN network, so no need to separate both subnets at the switch.
Options
2018-02-06 22:27:09
Your reply reinforces what I was thinking. What I didn't make clear is that AT&T wants their old router back. Yeah, the U-Verse was a router but I had disabled their lousy wifi equipment (they didn't even carry routers with 802.11n several years after N was commonplace) and used my own router behind it, so it is gone. I have a few old routers at another home, and I will grab one and use it as a DHCP server in place of the U-Verse using more or less the old working setup I had before.

You have confirmed my suspicions. At least with all the troubleshooting I did before making that last post (HATE not being able to figure stuff out on my own) I've gained far more networking knowledge. Making mistakes and tinkering is the best way to learn for me.....also a good way to lose hair and raise blood pressure.

Thanks again for your quality advice and help.
Options
2018-02-07 05:59:24
You're welcome. Yes, I love to find out things for myself, too, but I'll take any advice I can find becoming more lazy the older I am. :D

If you have spare router, why not install LEDE/OpenWRT on it? Most SOHO routers have a built-in switch which is VLAN-capable and they work fine with Easy Smart switches (and every other manageable switch, too). Take a look a LEDE - soon to be unified again with OpenWRT - here: https://lede-project.org/
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2379

Replies: 13

Related Articles