What does "AP Client Router Mode" mean, exactly?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-10 19:36:50
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I don't quite understand how "AP Client Router Mode" on the CPE210 can be used, the description on e.g. the "How to Configure the AP Client Router Mode on the Pharos device?" page is not clear to me.

Can I use two CPE210 in the following way?:

One CPE210 in my main house, pointing at a remote house, configured as "Access Point", connected with a TP cable to the router in my main house.

The other CPE210 in the remote house, pointing at the main house, configured as "AP Client Router Mode (WISP Client)". Will laptops, smartphones etc. in the remote house be able to connect to the CPE210 in the remote house, and that CPE210 will forward the network to the CPE210 in the main house, and then the main house CPE210 will forward the connections out on the internet? Or do I have to buy an AP to connect to the network port on the CPE210 in the remote house, so the laptops etc. there connects to that AP, which till send the traffic through the cable to the CPE210, which will send wirelessly to the main house's CPE210, and then out on the internet? If I don't need an extra AP in the remote house, will the laptops etc. need to be in a 60 degrees area in front of the CPE210 to receive signal (since the antenna in the CPE210 has a 60 degrees wide antenna signal angle)?
Options
1 Reply
Re:What does "AP Client Router Mode" mean, exactly?
2018-02-11 20:59:50

cabinss wrote

Will laptops, smartphones etc. in the remote house be able to connect to the CPE210 in the remote house, and that CPE210 will forward the network to the CPE210 in the main house, and then the main house CPE210 will forward the connections out on the internet?

No and yes. No for "laptops, smart phones will be able to connect to CPE210 in remote house" and yes for "CPE210 will forward network [access] to the one in the main house".

Or do I have to buy an AP to connect to the network port on the CPE210 in the remote house, so the laptops etc. there connects to that AP

Yes. That's the recommended way to build a local WiFi network for clients: use a separate AP with omnidirectional (360°) coverage, connect it by wire to the CPE210 running in client mode, which links the remote WiFi network to the network in the main house.

will the laptops etc. need to be in a 60 degrees area in front of the CPE210 to receive signal

Theoretically yes. But you will have to deal with subtle problems such as the hidden node problem in this case. Therefore, in practice it probably will work welll, will work not so well or won't work at all depending on the ability of the CPE in the main house to recognize allocation of the remote's WiFi channel by laptops and smart phones sending and receiving data to/from the CPE in the remote house. See wikipedia for a description of the hidden node problem.

As for the difference between client mode and AP client router mode: the former will make your main network available on the remote side of the link (it is bridging), while the latter will separate the remote's network from the main network (it is routing). So AP client router mode is useful if the main network is a public (e.g. Internet) or a transfer network of an ISP (in this case, of a WISP), while client mode is useful if the main house network is a private (non-Internet) network.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5973

Replies: 1

Related Articles