CPE210 Reset to Factory default with 8 IP cameras after few days

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-15 05:18:22
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Settings lost after few days

[COLOR=#333333]Region : Brazil
Model : CPE210
Hardware Version : V2
Firmware Version :
[COLOR=#333333]TP_Pharos_V2.1.6_170908

I have 4 CPE210 in my network

#1 configured as AP-Router
#2 configured as Repeater with lock-ap to AP-Router #1
#3 configured as Repeater with lock-ap to AP-Router #1
#4 configured as Repeater
with lock-ap to Repeater #3

8 cameras are connected to these CPEs making 2 cameras to a single CPE210 and a receiver is connected to the
AP-Router #1

Network is usually stable for 3-5 days, but then some of the Repeaters will lost its configuration and go back to factory default causing some cameras to stop showing images.

I initially though that someone could be acessing the POE adapter and pressing the RESET button, but this is happening in a few different installations we have. We just started to see this issue after expanding the system from 4 cameras to 8 cameras.

The system doesn't have connectivity to the internet, so packages are only sent to local IP addresses. Packages are formed with 4KBytes in a single UDP message (4 per second).

Does anyone have similar issues? I've been using CPE210 for a while and they are very reliable, but with images it became a real nightmare.

Thanks for anyhelp

Options
24 Reply
Re:CPE210 Reset to Factory default with 8 IP cameras after few days
2018-02-18 05:52:07

Kajoo wrote

Network is usually stable for 3-5 days, but then some of the Repeaters will lost its configuration and go back to factory default causing some cameras to stop showing images.

Sounds like a hardware fault. How much are "some of the repeaters"? All three? One? Two?

Did you ground the CPEs properly? What's the cable length from PoE adapter to the CPE? How long did the CPEs run w/o problems? Is the main power stable?

The system doesn't have connectivit y to the internet, so packages are only sent to local IP addresses. Packages are formed with 4KBytes in a single UDP message (4 per second).

The maximum transmission unit (MTU) for Ethernet frames is 1500 minus frame headers. UDP datagrams exceeding MTU will be fragmented, but if a frame fails, the whole datagram will be dropped. So, UDP datagrams should not exceed the MTU of an Ethernet frame to avoid dropping whole datagrams if transmission of an Ethernet frame fails.

But this has nothing to do with a CPE resetting and restoring factory defaults by itself.

I've been using CPE210 for a while and they are very reliable, but with images it became a real nightmare.

The nightmare could be caused by using three CPEs in repeater mode. I would avoid repeater mode on directional links and rather use client mode to connect to the AP.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-02-18 20:09:43
5 in total... Some are Hw v1.1, others are v2... The cable is around 10 meters long. I didn't ground the cpe and the power is not stable at all. It is a farm structure and power will switch to a local generator from time to time. I'll break the package into 1KB structure, although I agree this should not be related.I've selected CPE because it is whether proof. What other router would you suggest to use for outdoor coverage?
Options
2018-02-18 23:59:16

Kajoo wrote

I didn't ground the cpe and the power is not stable at all.

Grounding is an essential requirement for outdoor APs to avoid potential damages to its components, no matter what brands of devices you use.

An unstable power supply could lead to a reboot, but I never had a factory reset of a CPE b/c of power outages - except when settings were not saved, but I assume you saved settings after applying, didn't you?

I've selected CPE because it is whether proof.

Yes, it is weather-proof if properly grounded (see the installation guide, page 7).

What other router would you suggest to use for outdoor coverage?

I use CPE/WBS only, so have no practical experience with other brands. But i know from another company specialized in CCTV installations, that they moved from UBNT gear to TP-Link gear b/c of the long-term stability of the CPEs. Therefore I'm somewhat surprised to learn about CPEs restoring factory defaults, but could imagine that lightning probably did damage critical components due to no grounding.
Options
2018-02-19 20:12:36
Hi, I `ve been the same problem, CPE210 reset to default settings several times in an unstable power enviroment, not properly grounded by the terminal. Others brands take ground throught power cord, and it`s enough., and desacttivation of the reset button is possible by soft . Is it possible in CPE210? Regards
Options
2018-02-20 01:35:01

lobodil wrote

Others brands take ground throught power cord, and it`s enough.

That's possible with CPEs, too. Just RTFM, it's even included in printed form with every CPE:

This cable would fit perfectly:

Options
2018-02-21 00:57:32
Let me try to understand the feedback around proper ground. My router is installed outside a house in the wall to provide better outdoor coverage for multiple devices. If I don't ground it, then cpe will be subject to always reset itself to factory default. Is that what you guys believe is happening?I would love to understand why a portion of the flash memory would corrupt and what triggers this.Reset button on the power adapter will put 24V in the pin 3. Would it mean that some kind of capacitance is adding voltage to pin 3 for enough time until the hardware takes the decision to reset?I've seen other posts in where people are replacing the TPLINK POE adapter with a different brand because of similar issue.
Options
2018-02-21 03:20:13

Kajoo wrote

Let me try to understand the feedback around proper ground. My router is installed outside a house in the wall to provide better outdoor coverage for multiple devices. If I don't ground it, then cpe will be subject to always reset itself to factory default.

Improper grounding will expose the electronic to atmospheric ESD during storms and lightning which indeed can lead to such a malfunction. If (in a certain sense) you are "lucky", then it will brick the CPE completely and you notice it, if you're not noticing it that it was damaged by a lightning storm, it can behave in all possible weird ways and you won't be able to discover the exact cause of possible malfunctions. ESD needs not necessarily lead to destruction of the flash chip directly, but to other components which could prevent to properly read or write the flash chip's content.

I would love to understand why a portion of the flash memory would corrupt and what triggers this.Reset button on the power adapter will put 24V in the pin 3. Would it mean that some kind of capacitance is adding voltage to pin 3 for enough time until the hardware takes the decision to reset?

No, on pin 1 (Transmit +). An unstable power supply/changing voltage levels could probably trigger a RESET depending on the circuit design and various other points such as changing GND reference level etc. Using a standard 24V PoE adapter with + on pins 4,5 and - on pins 7,8 can probably help to avoid that.
Options
2018-02-26 22:46:40
Hi R1D2... first of all thanks for all the feedback.

We have updated a few things in our installation that seems to have improved stability.

1- We've cut the wire to ensure NO RESET could happen from the POE adapter on REPEATERS and BRIDGE. (pins 1, 2, 3 and 6 were eliminated). No change on types CLIENT, AP and ROUTERS.
2- We've changed the locale to UNITED STATES instead our current location to move the output power from 11dBm to 27dBm. This increased overall system stability reducing excessive buffering on CPEs.

System is now running for 6 days without a RESET.
Options
2018-02-27 07:33:36
Great that it works. But keep in mind that exceeding EIRP regulatory limits for your country is illegal and may result in a penalty being imposed on you.
Options
2018-03-02 00:18:45
Hello Kajoo and others

I am in the same situation... 300m link using 2 CPE210, one as Access Point, other as Client. Both EUv2 with the latest firmware
The access point has now lost its settings the second time. It took about 2 weeks to lose the settings each time.

Both obviously are not grounded nor have shielded cable as I speak (despite me being an electrical technician).
They are installed at my parent's farm (also in Brazil!). The one losing the settings is on a hill top, so I have a feeling that all I have to do is proper grounding. That will be done this weekend.

@Kajoo: if you can, please let us know if the problem happened again after your solution.

For now, i will only fix it by the book, and see if problem is gone. I let you guys know how it goes.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7163

Replies: 24