Configuring TL-SG1016DE using Mac OS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-25 23:11:09
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi everyone - does anyone else use TP-Link Easy Smart Switches and Macs?

I am trying to configure my new TL-SG1016DE using a MacBookPro running MacOS High Sierra v10.13.3

I have tried opening Safari and typing in the default IP address (192.168.0.1) as per the instruction manual

Unfortunately this takes me straight to the home page of my Sky Hub (my internet router) to which I am connected by WiFi

I can turn off the WiFi to prevent access to the Sky Hub, and try again. Unfortunately at this point, the Safari page says: "You are not connected to the Internet: this page cannot be displayed because your computer is offline". The LEDs on the front of the switch look fine - green on Power and green for Link and 1000Mbps - I can't however get either light to flicker indicating active communication.

I have looked for a utility, but can only find Windows versions - does TP-Link just not support Mac users? Do I need to send it back (plus the 2 TL-SG108E switches I also purchased to create my network)?

Thanks
Options
1 Reply
Re:Configuring TL-SG1016DE using Mac OS
2018-02-28 08:24:08

Crispin wrote

Hi everyone - does anyone else use TP-Link Easy Smart Switches and Macs?

Sure.

Unfortunately this takes me straight to the home page of my Sky Hub (my internet router) to which I am connected by WiFi

That means that your Sky Hub also uses 192.168.0.1, good to know since you now select a free, unused static IP for the switch in the 192.168.0.x range (for example 192.168.0.2).

To do so:

1. Connect the MacBook directly to the switch. Don't connect the switch to any other device while configuring it, especially not to your Sky Hub b/c it uses the same IP as the switch already.

2. Go to Location in the Apple menu (or start the System Preferences app) and open Network Preferences. Set a static IP for the MacBook (e.g. 192.168.0.5), leave all other fields blank.

3. Connect to the switch's web UI again, log into it, change the switch's IP to 192.168.0.2 or another free, unused static IP (make sure it's outside of your DHCP pool if any), apply it and remember to save the new config.

4. Revert back the MacBook's IP settings to DHCP or whatever you used before.

Done. If you have to configure several more TP-Link devices regularly, you might create a Location Profile for this static IP on the MacBook, so you could select it easily each time you need it.

I have looked for a utility, but can only find Windows versions - does TP-Link just not support Mac users? Do I need to send it back (plus the 2 TL-SG108E switches I also purchased to create my network)?

No need to send the switch back. Of course the switch can be easily configured using MacBooks and being a native UNIX system, MacOS is even more related to the Linux OS running on your switch than is Windoze. TP-Link switches are absolutely suitable in UNIX environments.

BTW: While you are at it configuring the two TL-SG108E, update their firmware to the latest version, it fixes some nasty bugs.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6491

Replies: 1

Related Articles