TL Wa7210N probems in connection AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-01 19:51:19
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello everyone

On my Agriturism i tried to set up a decent hotspot for my guests by using 5 7210n antennas:
2 are pure AP (to cover the main complex/lawn),
2 P2P bridge (connect a 250mt far home)
1 act as range extender (that amplify the signal of the 1st antenna down to the pool area)
In this setup i'm able to cover part of the hill with a very good % of signal.

unfortunately the connection seems not to be stable and after 2/3hrs the 2 AP and the P2P one (TX) lost the connection, or better they still connected, i get full signal but no internet provided.

Only if I reset to factory settings and then flash back the config.file they start to work properly.

seems that this is a common problem, i've read a lot of issue like this but i never found a definitive solution to fix this problem

the sys is composed by:
Modem/Router 4g+ (wisp) of my provider
8 port network Zyxel switch on which i've connected 3 Wa7210n

Channels have been choosed wisely to avoid interferences, DHCP server disabled (only on Modem/router)
1 year ago when we were using only 1 antenna as AP and we never experienced any problem, problems started when we expanded the hotspot

Support suggested me to buy an AC50, and some CAP500 (or replace the existing 7210 with some CPE510) as 7210 are not meant to work as pure AP (even if they promote them as capable of this).. but seems so illogiacl to change everything in this moment..

do you have an opinion or a solution?
do you really think that an AC50 would solve the problem?

Thanks in advance

N.
Options
22 Reply
Re:TL Wa7210N probems in connection AP mode
2018-03-02 18:59:55

The Riddle wrote

do you have an opinion or a solution?
do you really think that an AC50 would solve the problem?

Probably support meant to use omnidirectional outdoor APs with AC50 (the CAP300-Outdoor comes to my mind) to supply an area with WiFi. You could also use an EAP110-Outdoor if a standard AP mode is sufficient. As for the PtP link CPE510/520 or CPE610 would be best on large distances (> 150m).
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-03-02 22:51:39
Hi R1d2, thanks for the reply
for sure the support invited me to upgrade to something more recent for commercial purpose,
but my intentions are NOT to change anything for the moment, just make this 7210 work as expected in AP mode.
if this involves to add an AC50 to properly manage them, it's ok as the cost is low, but, i repeat, i'm not gonna swap the actual one for something else.

yesterday i tried to leave active just only the one that acts as AP on the bridge and no disconnections for the moment... (i've also made an extensive check via inssider to check any eventual problems of channels and they're perfectly spaced)
Options
2018-03-04 22:26:40
GRRRRR
today the situation got worse and i can't understand What the fork is going on..

The P2P setup too is having problems, If i stand next to the window (Master AP in sight) i can get a very good signal with my laptop, same level is seen by the 7210 via browser,
i'm able to connect to that one, everything seems to be fine, (100% signal, 65db)
but when i connect my AP (dlink DAP 1360) via lan " no internet connection"....

3 days ago, same configuration-no problems..

tried to reset both units and start back from scratch, but nothing is working (only Master AP is ok an didn't disconnected.. .yet)
Options
2018-03-05 00:41:34
I'm not sure what your exact network topology is (maybe you can draw a picture) with 5x TL-WA7210, but you should keep in mind that this device is designed for directional links; it has a directional antenna built in. While it could be used also to feed standard client devices as a classic AP, this isn't true the other way around: standard devices have no directional antennas and can't connect to a 7210 over long distances.

That's why support did recommend a CAP300/AC50. Also note that AC50 can not be used to control a TL-WA7210. Draw a picture of what you want achieve to make clear what you are trying (include distances please).
Options
2018-03-05 01:44:29

AP1 AP2 AP3 are the one supposed to spread the signal 180° the building and cover most of the area (things that in reality happens covering a huge part at 27db setting)
Actually AP1 & AP2 are NOT active as i was experiencing problems of disconnection (must reset to default and then configure again), only AP3 is active and oriented to building C (200mt far) where an other 7210 is setted as Bridge with AP, on its LAN port (on the injector) i've hooked a dlink DAP1360 as Access point (let's call it APXX)

at the moment there's a strong and stable signal from AP3 to Bridge, but i can't get internet connection to APXX, but i can easily connect to AP3 (due to over thick walls into that building i can't get signal inside) if i place the laptop on next to the window that looks in the direction of the AP3

3 days ago everything was perfectly working in this setup, now don't.

If i connect directly my laptop to LAN port on the injector on BRIDGE, no connection at all

i suppose 2 things: or BRIDGE has something wrong with LAN port (strange because i've done several factory reset and then loaded config file to set it up back) or APXX is not setted in the proper way (or damaged, i'll try with an other one later)
Options
2018-03-05 03:20:52
Ok, I got it. You want to set up a WISP scenario.

To do so, I would use client mode rather than bridge mode for the WA7210 in building C. Bridge mode will make all sorts of trouble such as bad coverage of the area outside the antenna's beam width (60°/30° H/V) and especially open doors wide to the hidden node problem over such a distance. If you connect an indoor AP to the outdoor WA7210 in building C anyway, there is no need to use it in bridge mode.

Devices in building B could probably connect to one of the APs in building A, but devices in building D and E most certainly won't be able to do so. Their omnidirectional "antennas" (often just a piece of metal such as the metal frame on an iPhone) are just to weak to provide a stable link to a TL-WA7210 over such a distance (the WA7210 could be seen for the SOHO devices, but the SOHO devices are not strong enough to send something back to the WA7210).

Always use a pair of directional outdoor APs in AP <--> client modes and connect another indoor AP to the WA7210. Make sure the local indoor APs use other channels with enough distance (5 channels) from those used in outdoor APs for the directional link.

If you ask me, I would have installed a WBS510 in AP mode with TL-ANT5819MS (120° beam width) at building A and four CPE510s at each other building (all in clear LoS to the main AP). For the local WLAN I would distribute it locally using a cheap SOHO indoor AP connected to the CPE510 by wire.

Of course you could do that with TL-WA7210, too: just place one at buildings B, C, D and E and use a WBS210 with TL-ANT2415MS (alternatively two or three TL-WA7210) as the central AP(s) at building A.
Options
2018-03-05 04:48:48
Tried in client mode..Signal from AP2 is absurdly lower than in bridge( at BRIDGE survey)On my iPhone I get 2 Sec of connection and the “no internet connection”So nothing changed ...
Actually i’m In C building
Options
2018-03-05 22:47:51

The Riddle wrote

Tried in client mode..Signal from AP2 is absurdly lower than in bridge( at BRIDGE survey)On my iPhone I get 2 Sec of connection and the “no internet connection”So nothing changed ...
Actually i’m In C building

In client mode AP2 has no local WiFi signal! It's a client and - compared to bridge mode - it does not offer a local AP.

Thus, your iPhone is connecting with the main AP, not with AP2, and as I said, iPhones are not capable of working over such a distance. You will see the SSID of the AP, yes, you probably can connect to it, too, but there will be by no way a stable data link, because WiFi quality of iPhones do not compare with those of a directional TL-WA7210. So, your experience is absolutely normal and what can be expected from such a setup.

Again: use the AP1 <--> AP2 link only for supplying the buildings with an Internet access (kind of a transfer network, not for other clients!), but use separate local APs connected to the directional link via patch cable for distribution of the WLAN to local iPhones, laptops etc. inside the building.
Options
2018-03-06 01:18:24

R1D2 wrote

In client mode AP2 has no local WiFi signal! It's a client and - compared to bridge mode - it does not offer a local AP.[/quote]
you refer to AP2 as the main antenna on building A (dedicated p2p for building C)?
AP2 is set as standard AP and had no disconnection issues in the last 4 days

Thus, your iPhone is connecting with the main AP, not with AP2, and as I said, iPhones are not capable of working over such a distance. You will see the SSID of the AP, yes, you probably can connect to it, too, but there will be by no way a stable data link, because WiFi quality of iPhones do not compare with those of a directional TL-WA7210. So, your experience is absolutely normal and what can be expected from such a setup.

i'm in building C, all my devices are trying to connect to the DAP1360(APXX) that is the internal AP connected to the 7210 of this building (which is connected to AP2)
yesterday as you suggested me i changed the operation mode from bridge to client, got 2 sec of internet connection and then "no internet connection" again.
(connection with APXX is good, i can stream from mobile to tv with no problems even without internet.

Again: use the AP1 <--> AP2 link only for supplying the buildings with an Internet access (kind of a transfer network, not for other clients!), but use separate local APs connected to the directional link via patch cable for distribution of the WLAN to local iPhones, laptops etc. inside the building.

that's what i'm trying to do, the problem is the lack of internet connection on the LAN at the 7210 here (building C).

this is so illogic as last week everything was working perfectly in bridge mode with that crappy APXX (which i tried to replace with a tp link router,just to avoid any incompatobility)

i think is better if we focus on why there's no output on LAN even if the p2p is connected and internet is ok from the origin

sorry to bother you but i reathe problemlly can't figure out what's the real problem
Options
2018-03-06 07:08:43

The Riddle wrote

you refer to AP2 as the main antenna on building A (dedicated p2p for building C)?
AP2 is set as standard AP and had no disconnection issues in the last 4 days

Sorry, my fault. I meant the second AP in building C. Also "AP" is a bad term since if it is being used in client mode, it is no AP anymore. "Station C" would be a better term (this is also the WiFi mode if working as a client: STA mode).

yesterday as you suggested me i changed the operation mode from bridge to client, got 2 sec of internet connection and then "no internet connection" again.

Let aside Internet for a moment. Check step by step what is working and what is not working and why.

Use static IP addresses for all devices during the test, do not use DHCP (even later on use static IPs for stationary devices, but double check that there are no IP conflicts).

Wirelessly connect station C to AP2.
Check wether you can ping AP2 from station C with its built-in ping.
Check wether you can ping the main router from station C, again with built-in ping.
Check wether a laptop connected to the station C can reach station C, AP2 and the main router.
Check wether the DHCP from the main router assigns an IP to your laptop (set it to DHCP to test) still connected to the LAN port of station C.
Then check wether an indoor APX (not a wireless router!) connected to the LAN port of station C can ping all of the above.
Then check wether your laptop connected wirelessly to the indoor APX can ping the main router, again with a static IP and also using DHCP.

Then - and only then - check wether you can ping an Internet site (e.g. Google DNS at IP 8.8.8.8) over the whole link.
Next, check wether DNS is working as expected. If it does, you can load web sites.
If any of the previous ping test fails, you don't need to test for web/Internet access, it's broken at some point.

It makes no sense to test Internet access before having checked the whole chain laptop ))))(((( indoorAPX <----> stationC ))))(((( AP2 <----> main router as described above.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2885

Replies: 22

Related Articles