Two CPE510 in bridge mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-04-11 22:01:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

First of all, sorry for my precarious English
I have 2 CPE510, I need to connect 2 points wirelessly, but that the pc's of both points look at each other.
All the videos and tutorials that I saw, talk about putting a CPE510 in AP mode and another CPE510 in client mode, but on the side where the CPE510 is in AP mode, it did not reach the pc's on the other side.

How can I configure these devices to work the way I need them?

Thank you very much for your collaboration
Options
14 Reply
Re:Two CPE510 in bridge mode
2018-04-13 22:57:45
Seems like your first setup should work.

Are you just networking these computers or are you sending the internet out to the client 510 also?

Bridge mode would be used to bridge between two networks but you seem to be on the same 16.1 network.

So you can ping from the client side to the AP side ok?
Options
2018-04-14 02:51:47

tacman7 wrote

Seems like your first setup should work.

Are you just networking these computers or are you sending the internet out to the client 510 also?

Bridge mode would be used to bridge between two networks but you seem to be on the same 16.1 network.

So you can ping from the client side to the AP side ok?

The first configuration works and is the one that is valid today, but it has the problem that I can not communicate from the PCs that are behind the CP510 AP Mode.

That's why I want to join both CPE510, so that they work as if 1 cable joined both switches. This was working until a short time ago with 2 AP 3com (which burned).

I do not need the CPE510 to work as routers.
I do not need the CPE510 to serve other wireless devices.
I just need the CPE510 to communicate with each other.

Thank you very much for your collaboration tacman7
Options
2018-04-14 04:21:00

cormoran wrote

You need one CPE in AP mode (make sure it really is AP mode, but not AP router mode) and one CPE in client mode. It's not important which one is the AP and which one is the client, but ensure that both CPEs have unique IPs within the same network. Then it's no problem to have all PCs on each side communicate with each other:

BTW, technically speaking client mode is much the same as bridge mode except that in the latter case the WiFi signal is re-distributed from the CPE, which makes it ideal as bridge between two networks, hence its name:

That's even the same mode as repeater mode, which differs only from bridge mode in that it uses the same SSID on both sides.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-04-16 19:13:50

R1D2 wrote

You need one CPE in AP mode (make sure it really is AP mode, but not AP router mode) and one CPE in client mode. It's not important which one is the AP and which one is the client, but ensure that both CPEs have unique IPs within the same network. Then it's no problem to have all PCs on each side communicate with each other:

BTW, technically speaking client mode is much the same as bridge mode except that in the latter case the WiFi signal is re-distributed from the CPE, which makes it ideal as bridge between two networks, hence its name:

That's even the same mode as repeater mode, which differs only from bridge mode in that it uses the same SSID on both sides.

Thanks R1D2 for answering.

Both CPE510 have unique ips within the ips range of my network.

I followed different tutorials, including the tp-link, but the same thing always happens to me. From the "client" side I reach any company PC. But from the side of the "Access Point" I do not get to the PCs on the client side, nor can I enter the configuration of the CPE510 that is in "client" mode.

Below I attach images of the configuration of the CPE510 in "Access Point" mode

Options
2018-04-17 05:33:46
Check that the subnet masks of both CPEs are the same. Are you really needing a /16 network?
Next, try to ping the CPE#2 from CPE#1 and vice versa via built-in ping. If this works, the problem is in your network setup, not with the CPEs.
Options
2018-04-18 03:41:42

R1D2 wrote

Check that the subnet masks of both CPEs are the same. Are you really needing a /16 network?
Next, try to ping the CPE#2 from CPE#1 and vice versa via built-in ping. If this works, the problem is in your network setup, not with the CPEs.

R1D2, I really need my mask to be / 16.
I have verified the mask of the CPE510 "Client Mode" and it is fine.
The result of the ping, thrown from the tools that bring the CPE's are the same as from my network (From the CPE510 "AP Mode", the ping does not respond to CPE510 "Client Mode" or to any ip behind said CPE)

I enclose the configuration images of the CPE510 "Client Mode"

Options
2018-04-19 07:04:23
The CPE is not in Client mode, it's in Bridge or Repeater mode. In Client mode there is no such submenu:

Anyway, ping works for me in Client and Bridge modes, with /16 subnet mask, WDS On or Auto. I have no idea what's going wrong with your CPEs, except that maybe the second CPE's Ethernet interface is defective for whatever reason. Did you ever plug the cable from the PoE adapter into (second) LAN1 port by accident? Or was the device exposed to electrostatic discharge without proper grounding?

Options
2018-04-19 19:37:57

R1D2 wrote

The CPE is not in Client mode, it's in Bridge or Repeater mode. In Client mode there is no such submenu:

Anyway, ping works for me in Client and Bridge modes, with /16 subnet mask, WDS On or Auto. I have no idea what's going wrong with your CPEs, except that maybe the second CPE's Ethernet interface is defective for whatever reason. Did you ever plug the cable from the PoE adapter into (second) LAN1 port by accident? Or was the device exposed to electrostatic discharge without proper grounding?

R1D2, you are right that it is in Bridge mode, because I was doing different tests, in Client mode and Bridge mode.
I made the configurations in the Systems offices and I passed them to the corresponding sector for them to install. Surely if I ask now, they will say no, but today it is well plugged in and working with POE.
The CPE510 # 1 (AP) and CPE510 # 2 (Client), what do you think is failing, # 1?
Something to try ?, try? firmware to install?

The teams have 30 days of installed no more
Options
2018-04-20 06:21:46

cormoran wrote

The CPE510 # 1 (AP) and CPE510 # 2 (Client), what do you think is failing, # 1?

Can't say that, but I can tell you what I would do:

Unmount the CPEs and test it in the lab. First set factory defaults, then check whether they respond on the Ethernet interface (ping, connection to the web UI). If so, configure CPE#1 as AP with default settings and CPE#2 as client also with default settings except for connecting it wirelessly to CPE#1. Then test ping over WiFi. If it works, then go configure them with final setting, then deploy them and align antennas. If one of them fails, try restoring firmware. If that doesn't help, replace it.
Options
2018-04-20 08:41:44
ok let me see how can I explain so I can try to help you, is a bit complicated to explain but I will try my best
you also mentioned some interesting things

what I would suggest is to try to connect the CPE'S with out the switches first then add the switches later
there are managed an unmanaged switches and that might be a problem
so do the CPE'S first then add the switches later

ok this is what I would do or recommend
set the first CPE as AP
enable maxtream
create you wireless network so the client can connect to it
important since you mentioned that you only want your CPE's to communicate with each other
then is better to enable maxstream
but by doing this other wifi devices won't be able to connect to the AP CPE
only the client CPE will be able to connect to the AP
ok back to the setup
in advance wireless settings
distance setting
select auto , click apply then save

now set the client
make sure the AP is on
from the client survey the AP then select your AP
enter your password etc
do the same for distance settings select auto, click apply, click save

ok since I'm doing this by mind and I can't break my connections right now
I don't remember if I need to select the maxstream setting from the client side too
I think the client auto detect the access point and if maxstream is enable then it simply connects to it
yes there is an option for maxstream station mode but you really don't need to change it unless you really want to

I think your problem is related to DHCP
if you are connecting the access point from a router or from the switch then let the switch gives the access point it's DHCP address
in other words disable DHCP from the access point if you are connecting the access point to another switch or router
so the switch or router gives the DCHP to the AP
the same thing in the client disable DCHP
so the access point and client will act only as passthrough

is your choice if you want to enable DHCP in the last switch after the client but I will only let the first router or switch with DCHP enable
then all the other ones with DCHP disable

you can test the client via lan cable before adding the last switch to make sure you have internet access
you also don't have to enable max stream but is recommended to have better performance
but is not mandatory and if the client and access point are not that far away and there is not much interference then you don't need to do it
is up to you

give it a try and report back
please tell me where are you getting the internet that you are sending to the AP
I'm doing this by mind because I done it so many times , sorry I can disconnect my connections.

also there are a few differences between v1.0 and v2.0 so just make sure you plugged the lan cables in the right place
good luck
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 13356

Replies: 14

Related Articles