CPE210 on camping ground to access internet thru captive portall?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-15 23:46:42
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I own a CPE210 v1.1, which I use in WISP mode on camping grounds. They often have WIFI at the reception, only. The CPE210 helps me to access the camping WIFI from my caravan, no need to be next to the reception area. So far so good.

Problem: Some camping grounds use what I believe is a Captive Portal: The user gets first routed to a web page where he needs to give credentials and accept the terms & conditions. No problem when accessing directly from a client device such as a laptop, a tablet, or a smartphone. I just cannot get it working using the CPE210.

I wonder whether anybody found a solution. I would also accept buying a different piece of hardware.

Thanks,
Kaar
Options
1 Reply
Re:CPE210 on camping ground to access internet thru captive portall?
2018-07-16 16:01:45

kaar6307 wrote

Problem: Some camping grounds use what I believe is a Captive Portal: The user gets first routed to a web page where he needs to give credentials and accept the terms & conditions. No problem when accessing directly from a client device such as a laptop, a tablet, or a smartphone. I just cannot get it working using the CPE210.

Most captive portals need Layer 2 transparency, thus it won't work with WISP mode (captive portal doesn't recognize the client's MAC address). Use the CPE in Client mode rather than in WISP ( AP Client Router) mode.

Next problem might be the WiFi link: the CPE has directional antennas with a specific beam width (65º angle). It works best with a CPE at the remote side of the link. If the WiFi device at the reception can't reach clients over a distance (due to weak signal), it will most certainly also not reach a CPE over this distance. The CPE could easily reach the WiFi device, but not the other way around.

Therefore, if you test Client mode on the CPE, test it near the reception. If it works, you can change position and try to find out how far the WiFi device's range at the reception can be received until it fades out. CPE antennas have a good receiving sensitivity, so changes are that it works until a certain point, which depends solely on the power of the WiFi device at the reception.

Using a CPE-to-CPE link, we use captive portal systems over distances of up to several 1,000 meters without any problems (but preferably with CPE510, not CPE210).
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2520

Replies: 1