【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller

【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller

75 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-05-28 00:34:55

Hi Gerry,

The EAP225 needs to be powered by PoE (power over ethernet).

This can be accomplished in 2 ways:

• Either connect it with a LAN cable to a PoE enabled switch (the Orange Livebox 4 is not PoE enabled). For example the TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE.
  • Or use the PoE injector that was supplied with the EAP225 (use LAN cable to connect the lan port of the injector to a switch in your network and to connect poe port to the EAP225).

The OC200 can be powered by PoE or alternatively using Micro USB (DC 5V/1A) using a cable you need to purchase separately. ETH1 of the OC200 needs to be connected to a switch in your network.

While in theory it is possible to connect the EAP225 to ETH2 on the OC200 using the supplied PoE injector, this is not recommended.

Because you mentioned you only have one free port on the Orange Livebox,

The most cost effective solution to get you up and running is probably buying a small 5 port gigabit switch (eg TL-SG105).

Connect this new switch with a LAN cable to the Orange Livebox.

Then connect the OC200 to this new switch using a LAN cable and use a micro USB cable to power it.

Connect the PoE injector to the new switch using a LAN cable and connect the other port of the injector the the EAP225.

Hope this helps.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-05-29 15:12:29

Thank you KrisG

KrisG wrote

Because you mentioned you only have one free port on the Orange Livebox,

The most cost effective solution to get you up and running is probably buying a small 5 port gigabit switch (eg TL-SG105).

Connect this new switch with a LAN cable to the Orange Livebox.

Then connect the OC200 to this new switch using a LAN cable and use a micro USB cable to power it.

Connect the PoE injector to the new switch using a LAN cable and connect the other port of the injector the the EAP225.

I have ordered a TG-SL105 and will connect as advised and report back, many thanks

Gerry

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-06-12 11:46:14

OK guys

I've now got:

Router

connecting to a TP-Link POE 

TP-OC200 connected to the POE (ETH1)

ETH2 connects to the TP-225

No lights on the TP-OC200..... why? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-06-13 00:14:37

Gerry,

If you bought the TL-SG105, note this is just a regular switch. Not a PoE enabled switch.

Your layout should look something like this:

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-06-13 09:01:32

I'm confused, to be honest as that's how I have it, execpt for a USB cable, going to where? sorry being dim here. Not my normal are of speciality. This project is costing me alot more than originally planned but so far in it now i need to finish. 

I've ordered a POE Switch so if I connect the OC200 to that  with LAN and then the EAP225 to the OC225 ETH1 it should work, yes? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-06-13 09:22:48

The USB cable is to power the OC200 (just like a phone charger). That way you do not need to use a PoE enabled switch. The EAP 225 in my drawing is powered by the PoE injector that I believe should have been included in the package when you bought it.

Alternatively you could plug both the OC200 and EAP 225 in a PoE enabled switch. In that case the PoE enabled switch would replace the  TL-SG105 in my drawing.

Do not plug the EAP 225 directly into the OC200 as that will not work.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-06-13 11:18:44

KrisG wrote

The USB cable is to power the OC200 (just like a phone charger). That way you do not need to use a PoE enabled switch. The EAP 225 in my drawing is powered by the PoE injector that I believe should have been included in the package when you bought it.

Kris 

I've followed about, lights are ON.

Now can't get the OC200 onto the cloud controller, am trying to follow the instructions. BUt there is a significant lack of them at this point so, this is what I;ve done:

The OC200 is conneected to the TP switch, The POE point goes to the POE on the injector

The EAP225 is also connected to the swtich and the lead goes to the lan 

What am I doing wrong ? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-06-13 23:13:59

Gerry,

Picture of TP-Link PoE injector that's part of the EAP245 package:

The PoE end of the injector should go to the EAP225.

The LAN end of the injector should go to the switch.

The power cable of the injector needs to be plugged into a power outlet.

ETH1 of the OC200 needs to be connected to the switch.

The micro usb at the back of the OC200 (not the regular USB at the front) needs to be connected to a USB power outlet (like phone charger).

ETH2 of the OC200 is not used. USB at the front of the OC200 is not used.

Here's a link to the OC200 setup manual: https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201808/20180829/7106508054_OC200_IG.pdf

Unless you know how to find out which IP was assigned to the OC200 by your DHCP server (by checking DHCP logs or using a network scanner),

the Omada App is probably the easiest way to go through initial setup.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-06-14 14:18:47

Kris

All was connected like you ecplained (I relooked at it after I posted and throught this isn't logical, so made it more logical. 

That's the good news.

The bad news is:

The EAP Discovery tool only finds the EAP 225

And I tried the mobile app to download it and noticed the the top light is not flashing. I've tried resetting (30 secd) and no change. 

So, I think the issue is the box is live but not 'connected' to the internet? 

Any thoughts

Thanks for your efforts on this, it's a tad frustrating.

Cheers

Gerry

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:【New Product Introduction】OC200 Omada Cloud Controller
2019-06-15 00:31:16

Gerry,

It is perfectly normal for the Cloud led indicator not being lit initially. It will light up once you have completed setup of the OC200.

To detect the OC200 you don't need the EAP discovery tool, but the OMADA app available from Google Play Store or Apple App Store.

Alternatively you can set it up using a web browser on a PC connected to the same network, but you'll need to know the IP address of the OC200 to do so.

To find out the IP address I personally I use an app called "Scany" on my iPhone to detect devices that are on the same local network as my phone. It will scan your local subnet and show a list of devices with IP addresses, open ports and some more basic info. Alternatively you could use an app called NMAP on a PC, but it is slightly harder to use especially if you are not that experienced in networking related stuff.

Once you can access the OC200 config locally you'll be able to input your TP-Link ID and password to link it to the cloud. Below is a screenshot of my controller showing the Cloud setup section.

Options