Due to the architecture of my house, I have to chain switches. I bought 3 managed TP link on Amazon TL-SG108E switches to have a proper configuration in the future, but right now it does not work.
To add more info
- I have only managed switches TL-SG108E : two v3 and one V2.
- I have 3 because I have to connect basement to First floor; then to second floor.
- I have computer science background (15 years ago); so I get the basics but I have no applied experience here
- I bought managed because those were super cheap for 1G 8 ports, and plus eventually I want to setup QoS
- I bought them because In french there's an expression "who can do more can do less"
- At the moment, I dont need VLANs, nor QoS
To talk about configuration I did after I reset the switches to factory settings:
ISP box is a Fritzbox 7490 with stock configuration -> this is normally the only DHCP server; IP address is 192.168.178.1
Only 1 port is used of the ISP Box and goes to the 1st switch
- The Wifi is enabled and used
- I have recent cables - at least cat 5e cables, max length is 15 meters
- I made sure I used the latest available firmware for all 3 switches
- I assigned a static and unused IP addresses to each, gateway to the IP of the Box for all switches DHCP is deactivated for all switches
- I wrote down the MAC address to not make any mistakes
- I did a factory reset of my ISP box - just in case
- I did not want to activate VLAN ,but it seems in the interface that I have to leave one enabled at least: MTU / Port based / 802.1Q
This is looking like: ISP box ---> Switch "basement (v3) —> Switch "TV" (v2) —> Switch "Desktop" (v3)
About what’s connected:
- switch basement —> I have a NAS, and a computer
- Switch TV -> I have TV, playstation, TV box , Apple TV, and a laptop I can plug
- Switch desk -> two computers, Apple TV
Here are my findings / what I tried
- There’s internet at the switch basement. All is OK
- There’s not internet from switch TV (all devices connected to TV and Desktop)
- If I unplug the Desktop switch —> nothing changes
- if I reduce to the strict minimum the number of devices connected --> nothing changes
- If I switch the TV and Desktop; same results --> here I was suspecting a conflict with V2 and V3.
- If I replace the switch TV by an unmanaged switch -> I have internet everywhere
- If I add an unmanaged switch between the Basement and TV-> I have internet at the devices connected to the TV, but really really slow (1-2 Mbit)
- From the PC connected to switches TV and Desktop -> I never see the switch basement -- But I suspect this is because I am not connected to it directly although that's not the same bevavior as if I use the PC connected to desktop;
- I see both desktop and TV switches
Hope that makes sense to someone… I am quite lost; It seems like Switch basement is OK but somehow is not able to talk to another manager switch I have.