[T1600-52PS] Getting Configured

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-25 16:59:46

Hey everyone, 

New here, and have very little knowledge with swtiches, etc. I am helping out my mother who opened a business, and has 29 Cat6 lines running to a Patch Panel. I purchased the TP Link T1600-52PS, and when I connect from the Arris Modem/Router to the switch, I sometimes get 1 port with an internet connection sometimes none. I am not sure how to configure the UI, but from reading several posts it looks like I need to set up VLANs and DHCP. Is there something I should look out for? What is the easiest way to get up and running? 

I will be connecting 4 VoIP phones, 2 TP-Link Wireless APs, 4 IP Cameras which all need PoE. I will also have 9 Desktops on the network. 

My mother brought in some IT guy, who said the switch wasn't the right one and charged $1,000 to install an 8 port unmanaged switch with a Netgear Nighthawk Router. That seemed like he just ripped her off. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:[T1600-52PS] Getting Configured
2018-08-26 08:37:45

CluelessNewb wrote

I am not sure how to configure the UI, but from reading several posts it looks like I need to set up VLANs and DHCP. Is there something I should look out for? What is the easiest way to get up and running?

At first, you need a clear idea of the desired network topology to decide whether VLANs make sense or not. A switch is just kind of a distributor, nothing else.

DHCP runs on the router, routing runs on the router, Internet connectivity is provided by the router. All those tasks do not belong to a switch.

For basic setup of the switch, assign it a unique (elsewhere unused) IP from the router's network and enable PoE for the ports feeding devices which need PoE. That's basically all to get the switch initially running.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 545

Replies: 1

Related Articles