Create DHCP Server and set static IPs to specific Ports - TP-Link Switch 16x GE T2600G-18TS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Create DHCP Server and set static IPs to specific Ports - TP-Link Switch 16x GE T2600G-18TS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-30 08:30:31

Hello everyone,

I couldn´t find a solution myself nor did I find anything right here, but if there is already a thread about this topic, a link would be welcomed.

The situation is as follows:

We´re running (trying to run) a CAVE-System in our university, in which we have 3 computers rendering and one master for tracking devices. But doing this in the network of our university is just too slow - so we bought the TP-Link Switch 16x GE T2600G-18TS.

The goal is to set up a DHCP-Server, so that our Master-Slave-Configuration is not running in the network of the university itself. What we need is static IPs for our computers in our "own" network. Say that we can adress the first computer by giving the second Port on the switch a static IP adress.

If there is any other, more efficient way of doing this, I´d highly appreciate hearing about it.

As of right now, we`ve tried a lot of things in the web GUI, but we couldn`t get it to work and always ended in resetting the Switch. Is there any tutorial/answered thread directly for our problem? And/Or do you guys have any recommendations on how to set up our network for our problem?

Thanks,

Barlium

Options
3 Reply
Re:Create DHCP Server and set static IPs to specific Ports - TP-Link Switch 16x GE T2600G-18TS
2018-10-02 02:38:51

Barlium wrote

Hello everyone,

I couldn´t find a solution myself nor did I find anything right here, but if there is already a thread about this topic, a link would be welcomed.

The situation is as follows:

We´re running (trying to run) a CAVE-System in our university, in which we have 3 computers rendering and one master for tracking devices. But doing this in the network of our university is just too slow - so we bought the TP-Link Switch 16x GE T2600G-18TS.

The goal is to set up a DHCP-Server, so that our Master-Slave-Configuration is not running in the network of the university itself. What we need is static IPs for our computers in our "own" network. Say that we can adress the first computer by giving the second Port on the switch a static IP adress.

If there is any other, more efficient way of doing this, I´d highly appreciate hearing about it.

As of right now, we`ve tried a lot of things in the web GUI, but we couldn`t get it to work and always ended in resetting the Switch. Is there any tutorial/answered thread directly for our problem? And/Or do you guys have any recommendations on how to set up our network for our problem?

Hi dude

Do you want to use the DHCP Server on T2600G switch?

Go to L3 feature-->DHCP Service-->DHCP Server and enable it.

The feature is based on VLAN interface, if you want set more than one IP address range. You will need to config the VLAN and give them own interface.

The interface of each VLAN could be the gateway of your DHCP Server. 

I am not much understand the 'static IP' you said. Do you want the DHCP reservation for your PCs?

Options
Re:Re:Create DHCP Server and set static IPs to specific Ports - TP-Link Switch 16x GE T2600G-18TS
2018-10-02 20:11:50
In additions may be need add new Interface (L3 FEATURES> Interface) and this VLAN ID link to one of port ?
http://lexxai.pp.ua
Options
Re:Create DHCP Server and set static IPs to specific Ports - TP-Link Switch 16x GE T2600G-18TS
2018-10-03 12:09:39

Barlium wrote

What we need is static IPs for our computers in our "own" network. Say that we can adress the first computer by giving the second Port on the switch a static IP adress.

In order to address a computer using a static IP address, the computer must know this static IP (no matter to which switch port it is connected). You can either configure the static IP on the computer itself or you can assign it a static IP by communicating the IP through DHCP on the fly. But in both cases the computer's NIC must be set to the IP.

Assigning an IP to a switch port makes it a "routed port", which also requires the computer connected to this routed port to use a static IP in the same subnet as the IP of the routed port.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1724

Replies: 3