Setting up a Vlan with DHCP on the T1600G-28TS switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-04 22:42:02

I am having trouble setting up this configuration. I see that the switch above this model is a bit easier to manage but I am not sure what to do to get this to work.

My goal is to setup a Vlan with a completely different IP block than what is on the remaining ports of the switch.

Vlan 10 should be setup so that it will hand out 192.168.10.X addresses to everyone that is connected to it.

This Vlan 10 should be able to be seen on interface 2 - 10

This Vlan should allow both the main IP address of the switch as well as the Vlan 10 IP addresses.

We are plugging in 9 Ruckus AP's into these ports 2 through 10 and setting up 3 SSID's

1 SSID will be a guest network and allow users to connect to the Internet and not see our network. This can be managed through the AP Controller but requires a landing page where they will type in the password into the webpage and be granted access this way.

The 2nd SSID will be used for our internal network and allow everyone to see our domain and shares. There is one single Access Key that the users will use to connect to this network.

The 3rd SSID should be the same as the 2nd one but have a completely different IP address (the 192.168.10.X I mentioned above). I can set this up on the Wi-Fi controller, but it needs a different IP address then the other network. To accomplish this, I thought a simple Vlan with a DHCP server would get the job done.

I use the smaller TP-Link switches, the 5 and 8 port devices, and we have no problem accomplishing this task. Now I pay SO MUCH more for a bigger, better switch and I am not able to accomplish this. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I did ask Support for help but they send you an article and basically say "Good luck."

I have had fantastic support from a competing switch manufacturer and may use them to roll out our 70 locations. Support needs to be a bit more accommodating!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Setting up a Vlan with DHCP on the T1600G-28TS switch
2018-10-05 11:21:14

Todd wrote

My goal is to setup a Vlan with a completely different IP block than what is on the remaining ports of the switch.

You need to set up an external DHCP server somewhere in the network. The T1600G-28TS does not support DHCP servers itself (at least V1, which I use). Also, smaller 5- and 8-port switches don't provide DHCP services, too (I use several TL-SG108/TL-SG105 with the T1600G).

If the system running the DHCP servers is VLAN-aware, just connect it through a trunk link with the T1600G. I use the T1600G this way and it works perfectly.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2547

Replies: 1