installation of cpe210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

installation of cpe210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
installation of cpe210
installation of cpe210
2018-12-27 19:29:11

I bought 2 cpe210 thingys (not sure what to call them). I want to have wifi at my shop which is 200 ft from my house. I want the coverage at my shop so that I can setup a Blink survelliance camera to record anyone coming around.

Do I need to install two of the cpe210s for them to work?

The install instructions says to set up a static ip address. Do I really need to do this?

At present I have one cpe210 attached to my router and to the passive POE adapter and then a cat6 rj45 to the outside of my office. That is as far as I have gotten.

Options
8 Reply
Re:installation of cpe210
2018-12-28 01:13:22

hwms1 wrote

I bought 2 cpe210 thingys (not sure what to call them). I want to have wifi at my shop which is 200 ft from my house. I want the coverage at my shop so that I can setup a Blink survelliance camera to record anyone coming around.

The install instructions says to set up a static ip address. Do I really need to do this?

At present I have one cpe210 attached to my router and to the passive POE adapter and then a cat6 rj45 to the outside of my office. That is as far as I have gotten.

Hi  Hwms1,

Thanks for the kind feedback.

For this application, you can set up topology like this:  Internet router----CPE210(AP mode)))))CPE210(Client mode)---IP camera,  in this way, the camera video can be recorded.

A static IP is needed and you should set it to be within the same subnet of your router's LAN IP.

For more detailed installation information, you can refer to our Installation Guide for details,  here is a  quick link for it: https://www.tp-link.com/en/download/CPE210.html

You can see the CPE210(UN)_V3_Installation Guide in it.

Thanks.

Options
2018-12-28 01:20:08 - last edited 2018-12-28 01:30:15

hwms1 wrote

I bought 2 cpe210 thingys (not sure what to call them).

CPE = Customer Premises Equipment (home telecommunicatons equipment) or simply WLAN AP.

Yes. They use directional antennas easily covering 70m/200ft, but on a relatively small beam width (65º angle) only. I bet your equipment at the shop won't cover 70m so easily. Also make sure to align both antennas (front sides) of the CPEs to each other. See the installation guide for instructions how to do so.

If you don't want to mess around with your main router to find out the CPE IP addresses: yes. DHCP is fine for mobile devices, but not so for equipment permanently deployed.

CAT.5e suits well, no need for CAT.6. Much more important is proper grounding of the CPEs, for example by using a shielded cable with an additional ground wire (again see the installation guide).

Mode settings should be AP (Access Point) for main CPE #1 connected to the router and Client for CPE #2 at the shop. See the installation guide for how to align the antennas once the AP is deployed (first align the Client CPE, then re-align the AP CPE, repeat steps until best signal is shown at the Client's LEDs).

Wireless settings: 802.11n-only mode, WMM/QoS enabled (default), fixed or automatic channel as you prefer, channel bandwidth 20MHz, distance Auto (or 0.1km). You might have to reduce the TX power if the WiFi signal tend to overload the receiver of the CPEs on such a small distance.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-12-28 12:57:49

Thanks so much for the great information. It has been raining here and is supposed to continue for another 3 days. I will get this done as soon as the weather allows.

hwms1

Options
2018-12-29 16:34:46

I have both cpe210s mounted and configured. The one at my house (connected to router) is configured as poe and the one at my shop is configured as client. The client is mounted on the front of my shop and pointed back at the poe cpe210. My wifi signal is not strong enough to my camera. I am wondering if I should mount the client cpe210 in the back of the shop and configure it at 'repeater' to cover the entire shop and the area in front of the shop. 

Sorry if this is an elementary question, but I haven't found that much information in the manual or instructions to help me know what to do for my particular situation.

Thanks in advance

hwms1

Options
installation of cpe210
2018-12-31 02:06:35

Got it done as a repeater. Works nice. Didn't need two cpe210s like I was let to believe. Sure would be nice to see more installation instructions involving different scenarios. In some places the instructions didn't match what was showing on the web site.

Options
Re: installation of cpe210
2019-01-01 14:24:31 - last edited 2019-01-01 16:05:38

hwms1 wrote

My wifi signal is not strong enough to my camera.

Not sure what you do. Are you trying to connect the camera wirelessly to the CPE? If so, you are trying to connect it with the CPE #1 (AP mode), not the CPE #2 at your shop (Client mode). This can't work.

I am wondering if I should mount the client cpe210 in the back of the shop and configure it at 'repeater' to cover the entire shop and the area in front of the shop. 

Bad idea. The CPE has an antenna beamwidth of 65º, which is suitable only for directional links, i.e. from a CPE to another CPE. It will not be able to supply WiFi to the shop in the back of the CPE #2 nor does CPE #1 suit well as an AP for the area in front of the shop.

Just do what Simon.Han suggested: connect the camera by wire to the CPE #2 running in client mode. If you need a local WLAN at your shop, consider to use an indoor or an outdoor access point also connected by wire to the CPE #2.

As for using AP mode (or repeater mode or bridge mode) on CPE #1 to supply WiFi to your cameras or other SOHO equipment, this can work if the cameras resp. other equipment is used outside the shop, but you won't get a reliable link at full speed over a distance of 200 ft. then.

What's more, expect problems if it's raining/snowing or if other interferences occur such as those caused by nearby equipment from neighbors. Those problems manifest as WiFi signals sometimes not being strong enough - you did experience this already in AP mode - and by sometimes magically working. Repeater mode is not different from AP mode in respect to the wireless link from the CPE #1 to your camera, so it does not work because it now uses repeater mode, but because local environment is now better than when you did try with the CPE in AP mode.

Anyway, a reliable and stable link over such a distance requires two CPEs.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2019-03-11 15:59:20

Hi

Can you help with a similiar setup.

I need a wired connection and wireless at farm 150m away.  I was going to get two CPE210/510s and use point to point and connect the camera into it.  What else do I need to get a wifi signal in the farm yard?  Could I connect a N300 into the CPE210 on the farm as well - do i need a switch to do that?

Options
2019-04-18 02:21:53

Hopefully this helps.  I have a similar situation, I wanted the blink xt down the driveway about 100 yards from the building with the router.  I mounted the CPE pointed at the blink and ran the cat5 wire from it inside to the router.  Put the CPE on AP (access point) mode, make sure you put a password on it.  I made the mistake of putting my router on dynamic mode and the CPE couldn't find the IP address after a day or two.  I think it needs to be on static mode.  I have to try that and then I'll know for sure. I have another building that needed internet and a wifi camera and I used the Tycon systems wireless bridge, connected to the same router as the CPE at the main building, and I put another router in the distant building to connect to the wifi camera.  The Tycon system is super easy and user friendly, basically plug and play.  Good luck

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2202

Replies: 8

Related Articles