Multiple SSID's with VLANs on TL-SG108PE switches and WA901N wifi access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-07 02:13:24

Hi there,

I've tried to find something similar to my situation on exisiting posts, but not quite.

What I'm trying to do (I think) should be quite simple, but I can't get the configuration quite right.

We have a small hotel and cottages with lots of TP-Link WA901N wifi access points for guests and staff to connect to.

We have 3x TL-SG108PE switches linking the buldings and the various wifi points.

I wanted to use VLANs to lock Guests out of anything but internet access, but still allow Staff to access everything.

So I have set up a Guest VLAN 2 and VLAN 1 is Staff. All of the switches and wifi points support VLANs so I have set up 2 SSID's Guests for VLAN 2 and Staff VLAN 1.

The ports that link the 3 switches I have tagged VLAN1 and 2.

The ports with the wifi access points I have tagged VLAN1 and 2.

The port for the internet router (with DHCP) is untagged  - it's an ASUS AC68U.

All other ports are "untagged" for VLAN1 or "not member" for VLAN2

All the PVID's are 1 as you can only have one VLAN to a port for the ingress.

With this config VLAN2 won't even authenticate the wifi. Everything is fine for VLAN1.

So I'm confused - this seems to be the correct config looking at the 802.1q scenarios in the documentation for the switches and the wifi access points, but I must be doing something wrong.

Can anyone help?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Multiple SSID's with VLANs on TL-SG108PE switches and WA901N wifi access points
2019-01-07 06:17:34

Normally in the application scenario you described, the DHCP server should have different IP pools to assign IP address for the devices in different VLANs. As I know, the TL-SG108PE doesn't have DHCP service feature, so the router's DHCP server should support set multiple IP pools.

Because the packets from the DHCP server is untagged, when they forward to the switch,  the PVID of the port is 1, so the packets can only be forwarded to VLAN1. That's why the devices in VLAN2 cannot get IP address.

I reviewed the switch's FAQs on TP-LINK webisite, this FAQ is about how to configure Multiple SSIDs with VLANs, the requirment of it is same to yours, it may be helpful

https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1849.html

Options