Setting up a new switch for home use

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-24 12:45:47
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I am new to this forum and to the concept of smart managed switching. What I am trying to achive is only for home use.

I have an isp provided modem router combo with 4 ports. The first 3 ports are used for internet access and the 4th port is used for TV. 

What i would like to do is to connect one cable from port number one of the router to port number 1 of the switch and have port number 1-20 on the same vlan. then i would like to connect port number 4 of the router to port number 21 on the switch and have port number 21-24 on another vlan.

All routing should still be done by the isp's router.

Any help would be greatly apriciated :)

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Setting up a new switch for home use
2019-02-25 05:39:28

Vitowito wrote

Hi, 

I am new to this forum and to the concept of smart managed switching. What I am trying to achive is only for home use.

I have an isp provided modem router combo with 4 ports. The first 3 ports are used for internet access and the 4th port is used for TV. 

What i would like to do is to connect one cable from port number one of the router to port number 1 of the switch and have port number 1-20 on the same vlan. then i would like to connect port number 4 of the router to port number 21 on the switch and have port number 21-24 on another vlan.

All routing should still be done by the isp's router.

Any help would be greatly apriciated :)

Thanks

Hi Vitowito

You can add port 1-20 to VLAN 10 and add port 21-24 to VLAN 20. If you devices do not support VLAN tag, you should set the ports as untagged and change the PVID to 10 or 20.

If you need VLAN 10 cannot acess VLAN 20, please make sure that port 1 and port 4 of the modem router cannot access each other.

About how to configure the VLAN, you also can refer to the following FAQ from TP-Link.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2149.html

Options