Communicating between VLANS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-11 08:09:59
Model: TL-SG1016PE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a NVR which I can access on my LAN, I would like some IP cameras isolated on a VLAN to access the NVR using an 802.1Q managed switch only.

I want the cameras to connect to the NVR without wasting router resources, can I do this through a switch with 802.1Q? I am thinking of having separate VLANS on a single /24, is this possible (does this make sense)? I don't quite understand how (if) I can get this to work without the simple method of traffic being routed between different subnets for different VLANS

Options
2 Reply
Re:Communicating between VLANS
2019-04-12 01:32:36

userMango wrote

I have a NVR which I can access on my LAN, I would like some IP cameras isolated on a VLAN to access the NVR using an 802.1Q managed switch only.

I want the cameras to connect to the NVR without wasting router resources, can I do this through a switch with 802.1Q? I am thinking of having separate VLANS on a single /24, is this possible (does this make sense)? I don't quite understand how (if) I can get this to work without the simple method of traffic being routed between different subnets for different VLANS

Hi Mango

The 802.1Q VLAN can help you isolate your IP cameras and NVR. If you want IP camera can connect to NVR, you switch need to support inter-VLAN routing. 

If you set all devices in a single /24 subnet, they still cannot access each other because the devices transmit data based on layer 2 network and VLAN have isolated them.

If the switch support inter-VLAN routing, the different devices can access each other based on layer3 network. The data will not be isolated by VLAN. 

Options
Re:Communicating between VLANS
2019-04-18 02:03:56

I have created a new thread here, as I am wondering specifically about connecting between LANs on a managed switch

Options