TL-SG3424P won't power (PoE) Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR WAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-21 16:37:14 - last edited 2019-07-21 16:39:36
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20150715 Rel.33297(s)

I recently provisioned aTP Link SG3424P switch. I have a UAP-AC-LR access point that I want to power from the switch.

I have confirmed that the UAP-AC-LR is 802.3af Mode A compliant in accordance with this link:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000263008--UniFi-Understanding-PoE-and-How-UniFi-Devices-are-Powered

The UAP-AC-LR I have, when powered by a 24V passive power injector, is adopted by my Unifi controller and the controller says it is a Rev. 16 board. The date code on the UAP-AC-LR is 1640. Again, this is in accordance with the above link.

The TP Link SG3424P switch is also 802.3af compliant, per the data sheet:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/managed-switch/tl-sg3424p/#specifications

I enabled POE on a port but no joy when I plug the UAP-AC-LR into that port.

Further research shows that the TP Link switch is Mode A only for 802.3af and that the polarity may be reversed from normal:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1003/

I tried building two different crossover cables in accordance with the following link, a full T568B crossover, and the partial one shown at the bottom of the page. Used an automated cable tester to confirm proper construction. Neither worked.

http://www.bb-elec.com/Learning-Center/All-White-Papers/Ethernet/Ethernet-Cables-RJ45-Colors-Crossover.aspx

I suppose that the switch could be broken. I have a POE tester coming, but do not have it yet, and have no other way to test the switch.

Any suggestions to get this specific combination working would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-SG3424P won't power (PoE) Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR WAP
2019-07-24 05:56:19

Some powered devices need to negotiate PoE with LLDP. Maybe you can try to enable LLDP on switch.

T2600G-28MPS and UAP-AC-LR both use mode A. Maybe they are 12(+)/36(-) or 12(-)/36(+). Generally the circuit design can make them be able to work with both polarities. But now they cannot work, maybe they only support one type of polarities and their polarities are different, or their PoE function already fail.

Options
2019-07-27 16:10:05

LLDP won't do the trick. The WAP has to be booted up, i.e. powered up, to entertain LLDP traffic. I tried it anyway, but of course it had no effect.

I've since got a PoE tester and the switch tests out 100% fine. The tester reports 802.3af Mode A T568B with the correct voltage, just like the switch data sheet says.

My current assessment is that Ubiquiti is lying through their teeth when they say that certain WAPs, including the ones I have, are 802.3af compliant. I am waiting on a second response from Ubiquiti to a trouble ticket I have submitted to them. The first response was "Oh, that WAP is 24V passive only." I then pointed them to both the data sheet and their own knowledge base article on PoE compatibility, both of which claim the WAP in question is 802.3af Mode A compliant.

Options
2021-07-21 00:25:11

@aa777888 I know this is an old post, however, I ran into the same exact problem around the same time you posted this inquiry.  I agree that Unifi APs do not seem to be compliant.  I have had an AP-AC-Lite for years that I tried to get working with my TP-Link TL-SG3424P after finally deciding that I wanted to go full PoE and start wiring up the house finally.  I found that neight my AP-AC-Lite, nor my Cloud Key Gen 2 would power up using anything but the unifi switch that I eventually purchased.  I just left the AP-AC-Lite on the passive injector bt did have to use the Unifi 16 port PoE switch to power the Gen 2 Key.  I never thought of testing this until now, but about five or six years back I had replaced two old Engenius Access Points with the single AP-AC-Lite.  I assumed the same thing you did by reading how the TP-Link switch may be inversely wired, based on some verbiage in their documentation.  However, I just decided to plug in my old EAP150 to see if it would power up on this switch since I am going to use it for some cameras that are coming.  Sure enough, after a few extra seconds of boot time, I am seeing all blue lights on the Engenius EAP150.  

Options
2021-07-21 00:30:21

@marteswigg Ubiquiti is lying through their teeth with their datasheets. Total BS. I had to buy a 24V passive capable switch to run the WAPs. No other solution. Period. Dot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3950

Replies: 4