Only receiving broadcast traffic on network tap

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-23 13:44:21
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all, I'm trying to set up my first network security monitor w/ a router running OpenWRT and a 8 port Switch. I have a cable from my router going into Port 1 on the Switch which I am mirroring to Port 8. From Port 8 I have an Ethernet Cable which I am connecting to a device that I am trying to use for Wireshark packet capture.

There seems to be an issue with the Mirroring Port (8) not receiving that much traffic but only transmitting Broadcast traffic. When I plug the ethernet from Port 8 into my monitoring device I am only seeing Broadcast traffic and 0x8899 Realtek Layer 2 Protocols on Wireshark. Where should I start to look? And I looked in the forum and didn't see any prior posts on this, but I'm a noob so apologies!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Only receiving broadcast traffic on network tap
2019-07-24 03:21:39

Did not know whether the switch will count the packets that from mirrored port. Maybe you can try to connect another PC to the switch and use it to ping the router. Check if you can see that ICMP packet on your wireshark.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1250

Replies: 1

Related Articles