CPE510 as WiFi bridge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE510 as WiFi bridge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
CPE510 as WiFi bridge
CPE510 as WiFi bridge
2019-07-31 15:18:37 - last edited 2019-08-01 03:13:39
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.3

Hi, I'm using two CPE510v1 for creating a WiFi bridge from my home to my parents' house. The CPE510 in my house is the AP, the other is the client. Both the network segments are using the same network (192.168.69.0/24).  When the router was in my home all was working.

A week ago I had to move the router from my house to my parents' home. Now I have several strange issues. From my parents' home all is working as before, but from my home I cannot reach internet anymore, no navigation, no emails, no ssh. I can ping all my internal network, router included, but I cannot go outside my network.

After several tests I can say that the traffic is not passing the CPE510 configured as AP, using tcpdump and router tools I can say that the traffic is not reaching router interface. Using traceroute I see that the only hop done is the CPE510 AP and nothing more. The only trick I can use in order to reach internet is creating a ssh tunnel to a raspberry in my parents' home and, using proxychains, from there going to internet, in this case I can reach outside world.

Any idea how to solve this issue? My first solution is to swap the two CPE510, but this only a patch, not a solution. Of course the router configuration is not changed and the same CPE510 configuration was working for a couple of years before the move of the router.

Thanks, Pietro.

Options
2 Reply
Re:CPE510 as WiFi bridge
2019-08-02 02:05:21

BarbaPeru wrote

Hi, I'm using two CPE510v1 for creating a WiFi bridge from my home to my parents' house. The CPE510 in my house is the AP, the other is the client. Both the network segments are using the same network (192.168.69.0/24).  When the router was in my home all was working.

A week ago I had to move the router from my house to my parents' home. Now I have several strange issues. From my parents' home all is working as before, but from my home I cannot reach internet anymore, no navigation, no emails, no ssh. I can ping all my internal network, router included, but I cannot go outside my network.

After several tests I can say that the traffic is not passing the CPE510 configured as AP, using tcpdump and router tools I can say that the traffic is not reaching router interface. Using traceroute I see that the only hop done is the CPE510 AP and nothing more. The only trick I can use in order to reach internet is creating a ssh tunnel to a raspberry in my parents' home and, using proxychains, from there going to internet, in this case I can reach outside world.

Any idea how to solve this issue? My first solution is to swap the two CPE510, but this only a patch, not a solution. Of course the router configuration is not changed and the same CPE510 configuration was working for a couple of years before the move of the router.

Thanks, Pietro.

I guess your topology may be like this : PC----CPE510 client(Home))))))))CPE AP(Parent's Home)-----Router

PC can ping CPE510 client, CPE510 AP and Router, but PC can't access Internet.

According to your description, it seems that the link between CPE510 client and CPE510 AP was working maomally, and the problem may exist between CPE510 AP and router. You could connect PC to CPE510 AP, and check whether PC can access Internet .

It could be a cable or connection problem between the CPE510 AP and the router .

Options
Re:Re:CPE510 as WiFi bridge
2019-08-06 10:16:21

The poster has a slightly different topology with the AP being at the PC end (although this should not matter)

PC -- 1 -- (510 AP) --- link --- ( 510 Client ) ---- 2 --- (Router) ----- (Internet)

1 and 2 being segments, there is another device on segment 2 that the PC on segment 1 can reach and this same device can reach the internet suggesting that there are no physical cabling or connectivity issues (Layer 1).

If you can ping your router and devices on segment 2 this *suggests* that Arp is working and all MAC layer working (Layer 2 and some Layer 3).

Sounds like you have a Layer 3/4 problem (IP/TCP)

Some basics;

Do you use DHCP on your network so the PC address is set by the router or is it static? Likewise for DNS?

Can you share the routing table of your PC on segment 1 and likewise the routing table of the router?

Can you share the arp cache/CAM table from your PC, the AP and client and your router?

If you cannot shre them I would be looking to see if the default router appears in the routing table of the PC as a default or specific entry.

I would be looking to see if the ARP caches on all devices were consistent, or flush them and watch them rebuild - does the AP have an arp entry for the router, does the router have an arp entry for your PC?  

have you disabled/configured any features on the AP and client to control broadcasts?

I assume you have repowered all of the devices :)

If you can furnish us with some more info I'm sure this forum can help

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1167

Replies: 2

Related Articles