Do I need a good router or a good switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-20 07:04:41 - last edited 2019-08-27 12:37:46
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 10

I am trying to set up a home network with about 10 Cat6 outlets throughout the house. I have 400 Mbps ISP, a DOCSIS3.1 modem and a Nighthawk X6S AC3000 router.

On the network I have a couple of desktops, a couple of game consoles, TV, Apple TV , and a NAS. Also a few devices on WiFi - the Nighthawk cover most of the house there, but there is definitely room from improvement (much slower WiFi from the bedroom, for example). Of course the network will grow in the future (probably with stuff I don't really need, but I just love playing with)

The main goal of my Cat6 network is to be able to move big files to/from the NAS, watch videos stored on the NAS, back up computers to it on a regular basis, open/edit large files on the NAS. I don't need to upload or download that much to/from the internet - just the usual Netflix, Xbox gaming, etc. In other words, I want a good solid network and an OK connection to the outside world.

After much reading here I think a better, more reliable network would be:

• Cat6A to every room

• Ubiquity EdgeRouter X (I don't know what "managed" router means, so I reckon I don't need one)

• Ubiquity APLite

So, to the questions

1. Am I right in thinking that the ER-X + AP Lite is better than the Nighthawk?

2. Am I right in thinking that I need a great switch rather than a great router?

3. The ER-X has raked a lot of good english news capread comments, but 4 ports is not enough. What switch should I add? Again, I would like to achieve 1 Gb connections to the NAS. Should I get a decent switch with as many ports as I need or just run 4 cables from the ER-X and daisy-chain cheap 4-port switches at the end of them?

4. I am drooling for a centralized router+switch with a patch panel but I am not sure if I need that or if the kid in me just wants to play the network pro.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Do I need a good router or a good switch?
2019-08-20 07:20:59

andy99 wrote

I am trying to set up a home network with about 10 Cat6 outlets throughout the house. I have 400 Mbps ISP, a DOCSIS3.1 modem and a Nighthawk X6S AC3000 router.

On the network I have a couple of desktops, a couple of game consoles, TV, Apple TV , and a NAS. Also a few devices on WiFi - the Nighthawk cover most of the house there, but there is definitely room from improvement (much slower WiFi from the bedroom, for example). Of course the network will grow in the future (probably with stuff I don't really need, but I just love playing with)

The main goal of my Cat6 network is to be able to move big files to/from the NAS, watch videos stored on the NAS, back up computers to it on a regular basis, open/edit large files on the NAS. I don't need to upload or download that much to/from the internet - just the usual Netflix, Xbox gaming, etc. In other words, I want a good solid network and an OK connection to the outside world.

After much reading here I think a better, more reliable network would be:

• Cat6A to every room

• Ubiquity EdgeRouter X (I don't know what "managed" router means, so I reckon I don't need one)

• Ubiquity APLite

So, to the questions

2. Am I right in thinking that I need a great switch rather than a great router?

3. The ER-X has raked a lot of good comments, but 4 ports is not enough. What switch should I add? Again, I would like to achieve 1 Gb connections to the NAS. Should I get a decent switch with as many ports as I need or just run 4 cables from the ER-X and daisy-chain cheap 4-port switches at the end of them?

4. I am drooling for a centralized router+switch with a patch panel but I am not sure if I need that or if the kid in me just wants to play the network pro.

I think that the router is more important than the switch. You should make sure that your router can support 400Mpbs. You can check this through NAT throughput. The router is important for network speed and stability. 

If the router has not enough ports, you can buy a switch. You need to buy the switch that support 1000M. Because you need 1Gb for NAS. If you just need the switch to extend your network, you just need to buy the unmanaged switch.

Options
Re: Do I need a good router or a good switch?
2019-08-20 18:43:44 - last edited 2019-08-20 19:10:11

andy99 wrote

3. The ER-X has raked a lot of good comments, but 4 ports is not enough. What switch should I add?

1. Don't know the Nighthawk.

2. You need a good router and a switch with enough ports for your use case. Most routers have few ports only, business-class routers usually make use of VLANs.

3. The ER-X has hardware off-loading, but it is disabled by default limiting the router to ~350 Mbps NAT throughput. You can enable hardware off-loading, this will boost NAT throughput to ~900 Mbps:

configure
set system offload hwnat enable
set system offload ipsec enable
commit
save

I use an ER-X connected to a T1600G-28TS core switch with several VLAN trunks to application layer switches (1x T1500G-10PS PoE switch feeding power to indoor EAPs, 1x TL-SG2008, 1x TL-SG108E, 1x TL-SG105E, 1x EdgePoint R6 configured as a switch feeding power to TP-Link outdoor APs for my neighbors). Yes, I know I'm crazy. You probably need only a single 16- or 24-port switch depending on whether you can install a bunch of cables into all your rooms. Check out TP-Link's JetStream switches, these are great products and highly priceworthy.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1074

Replies: 2

Related Articles