WAN path through client CPE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-18 15:19:23 - last edited 2019-09-18 15:25:36
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: V2_180117

Hello community! I am starting to plan out city wide wireless access (non public use) from atop our water tower using 4 (or more) CPE510's. The goal here is to have internet come from our city hall CPE510 in client mode (if possible), that then goes to an AP that is on our water tower, then from there it will shoot to a two locations or more. Here is my setup (Subnet: 192.168.254.0\24 Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.254.254):

In my testing, I was unable to get to to the internet from the 254.53 Client, connected via laptop (I also tried through a switch). I can ping google.com from 254.50, but not from any of the other CPE's shown above. I am able to ping my gateway as well. All CPE's are static assignd IP and have the correct gateway and DNS entered.

So my question is, can a CPE510 in Client mode not route WAN traffic through it as shown above? Part of why I am going with this design is that I aim to have two SSID's on different VLAN's so we can connect some security cameras (in the future) to these AP's with multiple SSID's and keep it off of the internet network if possible. But for now, my primary goal just to distribute internet to a few remote locations.

I am thinking in order to solve this we would need to have a client CPE510 on the tower in client mode that feeds into that 5 port switch and is connected to a CPE510 that is in AP mode on the building on the right where the WAN comes in, but with that thought aside, I do not understand why I am not able to reach the internet with the setup shown above :)

Also I apologize if this has been answered in this thread before, I have not found any post that is like my situation, although I am still searching.

Any insight or suggestions are welcome, and thank you for your time.

Options
1 Reply
Re: WAN path through client CPE
2019-09-19 01:52:57 - last edited 2019-09-19 01:54:34

Hi @Matthewismyname,

to use the CPEs in routing mode, you would need the clients to operate in AP Client Router mode. Note that the client's WAN then must be part of the same subnet the corresponding (remote) AP is in, which operates in standard AP mode. See the section »Operation Modes« in the Pharos Users Guide (you can turn off the AP in the client, so it is actually working as in Client Router mode meaning its WAN interface will wirelessly connect to a remote AP and forward data from/to the LAN only over the wire):

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 590

Replies: 1

Related Articles