TL-SG116E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-SG116E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-SG116E
TL-SG116E
2019-11-21 20:06:58 - last edited 2019-11-23 12:15:20
Model: TL-SG116E  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20180523 Rel.52122
Hello everybody,

I have replaced SG108E with SG116E and since then I need to reboot the switch after some hours, or days to restore my connection from PC to switch.

My setup is - Huawei HG8245H router connected to Port1 of SG116E and 7 computers/TVs/Boxes, 4 iptv set-top-boxes connected to other switch ports.

Flow control is off, VLANs are off, PVID set to 1, hardware reset and software reset performed, firmware upgrade performed (same fw as nothing new is available), but without success.

After some hours/days of traffic the ports that had link down (PC/box temporarily turned off) and were switched back on cannot ping switch, router, internet anymore. Even though switch is online, ping-able and manageable via GUI from other active devices (where link on ports didn't go temporarily down), the ports where link was down cannot get connectivity to the switch anymore - tried different computers, operating systems, PC reboots, but tcpdump/wireshark show no packets (even no arp) from the switch even link is up from computer side as well as from switch GUI side (checked from active computer still working properly).

Please note, If some active port (that was not down) is unplugged and different device is plugged into such port, it's working properly, but re-plugging it to other (previously inactive) port will prevent it from working and seeing any traffic.

As as side note, funny thing is the color of web GUI, which is changing if IP of the switch is changed - IP 192.168.1.1 - GUI is blue color, but 192.168.1.4, or 5 is grey color. Didn't check other IPs, but something is apparently hard-coded there.

Any ideas? Beta firmware to check?

IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
Firmware Version 1.0.0 Build 20180523 Rel.52122
Hardware Version

TL-SG116E 1.0

Update: I changed IP of the switch from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.5 (grey color of the GUI instead of blue) and since then I don't have any connection issues for a week. Note, the IP 192.168.1.2 has not been used in my network, you wouldn't find any arp entry for this IP. To be precise, beside IP I changed also "Device Description" to "switch" and didn't log out from device, just closed the tab.

Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-SG116E
2019-11-25 01:44:17

@Jan_Kab 

For the problem that loss internet, did your PC has IP address at that time? If not, maybe you can try to set up static IP address even static ARP, check if can solve the problem. For the web GUI change, maybe you can try to clear browser cache.

If the above way has not any help, suggest to ask tp-link support for help.

Options
2019-11-25 19:17:16

@Andone 

Thanks for your suggestions. My PC had static IP address and couldn't see any communication to "dead" port. Re-plugging cable to other port which was not dead allowed further communication as usual. However dead port(s) could be brought alive only with the switch reboot.

Regarding GUI change, I tried different browsers, clearing cache. IMHO anybody with that switch can test it and will have same results - it is in the firmware.

I can confirm that my switch is still working properly since I've changed its IP.

I am suggesting tp-link support to have a look at this "feature", it should be easily reproducible. I will contact them.

Options
2019-12-04 18:12:19

Support case is open, support team is great, testing the switch, but the issue cannot be reproduced.

I am also trying to reproduce the issue, however even after resetting to defaults the issue cannot be noticed.

So I am testing and waiting if "dead ports" occur again. If not, then it was some kind of weird behavior that is "fixed" by couple of reboots, resets and IP changes.

Or something specific in my home network that disappeared. I am really confused.

I will come back here if I have some news.

Options
2019-12-05 01:40:01
If you can found the cause, you can share here. I am also curious about how can make port dead. But if your network can work normally all the time, it's also a good thing.
Options
2020-05-17 11:34:17

@Jan_Kab

issue never came back in another 6 month of usage, assuming no problem with the switch.

Options
2020-07-01 15:05:07

I do expiriance the exact same problem now!

Can You please specify the steps You took to get rid of the problem? Rebooting (Wie WebGui) did not solve the dead ports. What else to try?

Greetings !

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2446

Replies: 6

Related Articles