Enabling remote webserver login IP address access on CPE 210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-03 17:43:52 - last edited 2019-12-04 00:32:53
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I'm configuring CPE 210 to work in AP Router mode. By default, the remote webserver login IP address access is disabled. 

I'm having trouble enabling it from the Management page. Here's the problem I am facing:

1. On a fresh login (after resetting device), when I visit the management page, the field is disabled and a message says that remote IP access can only be enabled in AP Router or AP Client router modes. 

2. In the top right corner of the web portal, I see that the default mode is "Access Point":

3. When I change this to "AP Router", immediately my device becomes inaccessible as Port0 now becomes LAN port and since the remote webserver IP address is not yet, I cannot access the management page anymore.

How can I enable remote webserver IP address now? Can I do it via SSH or by some other way? Please help.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Enabling remote webserver login IP address access on CPE 210
2019-12-03 23:27:50 - last edited 2019-12-04 02:50:52

Hi nack, why not read the fine manual?

Are you really sure you need AP Router mode? Do you connect the CPE210 to a modem rather than to a router?

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2019-12-04 02:11:14

@R1D2 I did read that in the manual, and also why I want to enable remote webserver access via specifying an IP address. The management page is not allowing me to to set that option unless the device is switched to AP Router mode, and once I do that, I obviously can't access the management page anymore.

> Are you really sure you need AP Router mode? Do you connect the CPE210 to a modem rather than to a router?

I'm forming an internal wireless network (not connected to an ISP) by using the CPE210 as the starting point.

Options
2019-12-04 03:15:19 - last edited 2019-12-04 03:18:20

nack wrote

I'm forming an internal wireless network (not connected to an ISP) by using the CPE210 as the starting point.

For an internal wireless network the AP Router mode is definitely the wrong mode. AP Router mode is for connecting the CPE to the Internet via a Modem., i.e. to replace an Internet router. It is not suitable for any other use case.

In AP Router mode the roles of LAN and WLAN will change to WAN and LAN respectively. Thus, the CPE's Ethernet port 0 is becoming the WAN (= ISP) port, it no longer is the LAN.

That's why access to the web UI must be denied over the WAN: it makes no sense at all to permit access to the web UI for the WAN interface (= Internet) except you are an ISP.

If the CPE is your »starting point« and you do not have Internet access, what do you want to connect to the CPE's WAN port 0? A server? A local network? No other device at all?

Maybe you can draw a network diagram and post it here.

Options
2019-12-04 03:39:56 - last edited 2019-12-04 03:53:58

@R1D2 I want to connect the CPE 210 to EAP 110 outdoor unit.

And, I want the wireless network from the EAP 110 to create an internal wireless network (no need for Internet access) so that a bunch of devices can communicate with each other on the internal network via the wifi. I was thinking of using the CPE 210 as the starting point for that. What mode should I use?

Options
2019-12-04 09:52:07 - last edited 2019-12-04 09:53:31

nack wrote

I want to connect the CPE 210 to EAP 110 outdoor unit.

Since EAP110-Outdoor is an AP (and can't be changed to work in another mode), only one mode is left for the CPE: Client mode.

This is the network in Client mode (think of an EAP110-Outdoor as the AP on the left side in the diagram below):

And, I want the wireless network from the EAP 110 to create an internal wireless network (no need for Internet access) so that a bunch of devices can communicate with each other on the internal network via the wifi.

This requires to set up an internal network on your EAP110-Outdoor, not on the CPE. But information about your requirements are still to vague, so further questions arise:

• What clients should be able to wirelessly connect to which AP?
  • Why don't you connect the wireless clients to the EAP110-Outdoor already in place?
  • Why the CPE at all? Are the wireless clients located at a remote location far away at a greater distance an EAP110-OD can cover?
  • Do you need an additional separate internal wireless network or is the internal network the only one on the EAP110-OD?
  • What's with the local wired network (LAN)? Is it part of the internal wireless network or is the internal network only a wireless network?
  • Do you want to deny access to the Internet for wireless clients connected to the internal network or is Internet acces just not needed?

Do yourself a favour and create a detailed network diagram first before setting up any device.

Options
2019-12-04 10:12:25

@R1D2 Sorry about the vague requirements. I have 100 wireless enabled sensor devices on a large floor which needs to send data to a central logging server running on a computer. The easiest way to achieve this is through a wireless network. As for why I am trying to use both CPE and EAP-OD:

1. I get excellent range+coverage using EAP110-OD but it does not have DHCP support. 

2. CPE has a DHCP server, but cannot over the whole area because of the directional antenna.

So I was trying to use the CPE as an AP and connecting the EAP110-OD to it to get the best of both worlds. The above should answer most of your questions. I will clarify on the others:

Do you need an additional separate internal wireless network or is the internal network the only one on the EAP110-OD?

I just need a single network created by the EAP-110.

Do you want to deny access to the Internet for wireless clients connected to the internal network or is Internet acces just not needed?

Not applicable since there is no other network on the premise. I don't have a need to connect to the Internet as well.

Options
2019-12-04 12:23:59 - last edited 2019-12-04 12:24:50

Ah, much clearer now.

As for the DHCP service I would suggest to install a DHCP server such as dnsmasq on the data logging system which receive the data from the sensors. dnsmasq is a lightweighted DNS forwarding server with a built-in DHCP server (you can disable the DNS forwarder to just use the DHCP part of dnsmasq).

If this is not possible but you have a managed L2+/L3 switch, set up a DHCP server in the switch the EAP110-OD is connected to.

If this is not possible either, I would use a RasPi or similar small system to provide the DHCP service.

The problem I see with 100 sensor devices is a possible overloading of the AP (or more precisely: of the frequency band) depending on the amount of data the sensors transmit. Keep in mind that all sensors share the same wireless medium and thus need to acquire AirTime for the communication. Usually, a single-band AP becomes saturated with 20-30 clients, sometimes more or less depending on the usage pattern.

For 100 sensors I would plan two APs, but if the sensors are sending just a few bytes then and when, one AP could probably cover this load.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6424

Replies: 7